Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When do you mark for hand quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-do-you-mark-hand-quilting-t176601.html)

Barb130 01-22-2012 05:26 PM

When do you mark for hand quilting?

When you are going to hand quilt a quilt, do you mark it before you sandwich and pin it together or do you mark it as you go.? When is the best time to mark it?
Thanks,
Barb130

Hinterland 01-22-2012 05:31 PM

I do both - mark ahead and mark as I go. On my current project, I marked the background grid ahead of time, and I'm happy with how straight it turned out. I'm not very patient, though, so most of the time I mark as I go.

Janet

Tartan 01-22-2012 06:13 PM

It depends on the design and what I intend to mark it with. If it's straight lines, I use painter's tape and do that after it's sandwiched. If it's a ponce, you do that after sandwiching and as you go. If it's a quilt pencil/marker of some kind that you need a hard surface under, I mark that as a top. IMPORTANT-If you are using any kind of quilt pencil, quilt marker, quilt chalk etc. do a test sample and then try to remove the lines before trying it on your quilt.

deemail 01-22-2012 06:21 PM

i longarm, so mark as i quilt... chalk only.... damp washcloth takes it off...

ChaiQuilter 01-22-2012 06:23 PM

I tried the painter's tape method and it was a disaster. Concerned about pulling it off the quilt after quilting, I went with a tape that was marked easy removal. As I quilted, it would shift and get bunched and I had a real mess. Next time I will try a "regular" painter's tape.

Lois-nounoe 01-22-2012 06:33 PM

I have always marked as I quilt. I find that most markers dissapear all to soon. I do have one of those gel pens made for marking quilts and only go away with heat! Dryer heat or Iron heat! thinking of marking the center of the blocks on my new quilt top with that and quilt in the ditch for the rest of it. That way I can use a light box and the pen for marking those. They say the marks will come back at 14 degrees but since the quilt is going to Florida (wish I was there) I don't think I have to worry about it. LOL

Borntohandquilt 01-22-2012 11:29 PM

I mark it as I go. Because I use the method of needle marking the underground has to be a soft and a little fluffy to create visible markings. Furthermore I often change my mind regarding the border designs or other details while I am quilting the center of my wholecloth.

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 01-22-2012 11:38 PM

I mark everything before I add the batting and backing using my kitchen island as its a large flat surface. Then if needed I remark the lines while I am quilt on my frame.

117becca 01-23-2012 02:22 AM

I also will generally mark before I sandwich the quilt. If it is straight line stitching, I use quilters tape. I like it better than painters tape because it is thinner.