Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When/How to Use Retayne and/or Synthrapol (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-how-use-retayne-synthrapol-t127678.html)

bearisgray 06-03-2011 03:44 AM

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/store/home.php?cat=323

The directions for both say to use Hot water (140 degrees F., 60 degrees C)

The instructions for Retayne suggest treating the fabric Before cutting it.

Retayne - soak fabrics for 20 minutes in hot water, then rinse

Synthrapol - soak 10-12 minutes in hot water, then rinse.

As far as I can tell from that info, they are Not interchangeable.

ckcowl 06-03-2011 04:09 AM

retayne helps set the dyes

synthrapol keeps fugitive dyes from getting on other fabrics in the water.

2 different animals

DebraK 06-03-2011 04:54 AM

I love synthrapol. I always put a cap in when I wash my completed quilts. I haven't had a disaster yet. No, I don't pre wash, and I dye fabric and clothing quite often.

LDB 06-03-2011 05:18 AM

Becky at my LQS (Sunshine Stitches) explained it to me this way:

Use Retayne to prevent fabric from bleeding. Use Synthrpol (or other fabric catchers when your fabric has already bled. If you think a fabric might bleed, prevent it by using Retayne. If you have a 'surprise' of bleeding, Synthrapol will help remove the runs.

She always knows how to break down a matter for a dumb newbie!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-03-2011 06:10 AM

Thanks for the info, Bearisgray!! :)
I bought some and forgot why lol

eastermarie 06-03-2011 10:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess I need both. I only bought one of them.

Jim's Gem 06-04-2011 05:10 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks for the info!

quiltincin 07-03-2011 10:16 AM

How do you get the water to 140 degrees? I tried it in the wash and even added boiling water and I could only get it to 130 degree. What is your secret?

P.S. - My water heater was set to the highest setting too!

scrappycats 07-03-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltincin
How do you get the water to 140 degrees? I tried it in the wash and even added boiling water and I could only get it to 130 degree. What is your secret?

P.S. - My water heater was set to the highest setting too!

I too wondered that. When I taught commercial cooking and the water had to be 140 degrees for washing dishes, we had to have a special booster heater installed to make it that hot.

bearisgray 07-03-2011 10:47 AM

I don't use either product -

But it would seem to make sense to me to use the products as directed, if one is going to go to the expense and effort of using them.

I soak new fabrics (similar colors and/or shades together) in water as hot as it comes from the tap (not hot enough to scald myself if I do a quick dip in it - but quite uncomfortable if I linger in it) for at least half an hour.

I use the sink if I have a lot of items, a small kettle or bowl if it's something like a fat quarter.

I smoosh the fabric(s) up and down a few times in the water maybe every ten minutes or so just to stir it up a bit.

If the water is still clear, all is good and I put the piece aside to be very gently washed and dried.

I think the agitation is what makes new fabric look "worn" in the washing process.

If the water has acquired some color - I go through the pieces and see which one is putting out the color.

I isolate that one and soak and rinse it some more until the water is clear - or almost clear.

Then - when I think that the black (or whatever color) piece won't discolor that white (or other lighter colored) piece - I dump all the wet stuff into the washer and give it a quick gentle wash with just a smidgen of detergent - dry it on permanent press in the dryer until just dry - fold and put away until time to cut it.

If I get a piece that continues to color the water - I will try to return it (if it's a relatively recent purchase and I still have the receipt)

If the store won't accept it, I discard it. No point in mucking up my project or someone else's.

I've had a couple of pieces that were still coloring 20 changes of water. There comes a time to accept that the piece is a loser!

The stuff I make goes to people that do well to get things washed - forget about "special treatment"

I do have a hissy about using liquid bleach when washing quilts.

I have this idea that fabric should behave "on its own" and that the owner of the quilt should only need to use "reasonable care" when washing it.

I do know about color catchers, etc. I just don't they should be necessary!