Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When it's time to QUILT it... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-its-time-quilt-t201191.html)

QuiltnNan 09-22-2012 10:13 AM

when i was a newbie, i found that echo quilting was quite effective

Tashana 09-22-2012 10:37 AM

I did patchwork for years but not quilting because I found it difficult (or so I thought). Then I discovered the meandering and wonderful crinkle effect it creates after the quilt is washed. Up until recently I did not even know that batting had recommended quilting width. I am still in love with meandering because there are no mistakes, at least not glaring ones, and it looks so cool.

annthreecats 09-22-2012 10:43 AM

I do a wide meandering, staying within the requirements of the batting, but not quilting so close that it takes forever. The last 60" x 60" quilt only took me about 5 hours to quilt.

ckcowl 09-22-2012 10:58 AM

different battings require different amounts of quilting- some need to be quilted every 2" (quite dense) others allow up to 10" apart- and everything inbetween-
it is a personal choice how much quilting you like-lots or little- it is important to choose a batting that meets the desired amount- if you want to tie your quilt or do very little quilting choose a batting that allows up to 10" between quilting lines- if you like a bit more choose one that needs every 4-6"- if you like dense quilting choose one that needs to be quilted every 2"...it is all a personal choice and really dependant on the individual project- i've made some heavily quilted quilts- i've also made some with very little/just enough- each project is different & requires it's own design. i long-arm and have many customers who do not really want heavily - every inch quilted quilting- they prefer large- meandering designs that do not detract from the quilt itself.

MattieMae 09-22-2012 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Toni C (Post 5532560)
I don't like quilts (for use) quilted within an inch of it's life. I like a soft drape. I make it balanced but tend to make it open designs. Sometimes I SID but if I meander it's open. Sometimes both. It depends what the quilt tells me it wants

Ditto. ~:thumbup:~

irishrose 09-22-2012 09:49 PM

I absolutely love the looks of well done quilted quilts, but for me, I want much less. My meanders are at least two fingers wide and that's fine with me. My favorite so far is to meander in one block and a pattern like a star or flower in the alternate block. Most of my battings are 4" apart ones, so I'm good there.

audsgirl 09-22-2012 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 5532791)
The first thing I want to see in a quilt is the piecing. To me, if the quilting overpowers the quilt, it's too much. Quilting should compliment the quilt, not overpower it. JMHO.

I totally agree. Sometimes the quilting is so dense, you can hardly make out what the piecing is supposed to look like.
My quilts are quilted by me on my Bernina 153 QE. I do enough to keep the batting from shifting and hopefully to accent the quilt. Stippling is probably what I do the most, although I have done some fancier designs on fancier quilts.
Ultimately, it's what you like, not someone else's ideas about what is right.

busy fingers 09-22-2012 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 5532791)
The first thing I want to see in a quilt is the piecing. To me, if the quilting overpowers the quilt, it's too much. Quilting should compliment the quilt, not overpower it. JMHO.

I could not agree more. I am a minimalist quilter. I think too much makes the quilt too hard and detracts from the fabric and the design.

Having said that it is your quilt you do what suits you and you like.

QuiltingCrazie 09-23-2012 12:43 AM

I found when I FAQ I like stars and swirls. They were really easy for me. I don't like dense quilting either, so I try to space out the quilting.

teddysmom 09-23-2012 02:36 AM

I hand quilt so I do echo quilting around each block.