Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where can I find reusable bags for quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-can-i-find-reusable-bags-quilts-t168546.html)

diamond68 11-16-2011 02:43 PM

Where can I find reusable bags for quilts?

I am looking for bags that I can send quilts with customers instead of using plastic bags. Does anyone have a source that would have these? These are also great for storing quilts
Thanks!

0tis 11-16-2011 02:44 PM

Perhaps a matching pillow case or little tote with leftover fabric - that would be cute.

Lori S 11-16-2011 02:56 PM

If you are using the plastic to protect the quilt until its delivered , thats one thing. My grocery store sells really BIG zip lock bags. But quilts should not be stored in plastic long term. Many make a matching pillow case to store , when not in use.

Beachbound 11-16-2011 02:58 PM

I always make a matching pillowcase to go with the quilt. It is great for storing them because quilts should not be stored in plastic bags. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

thimblebug6000 11-16-2011 03:19 PM

I imagine it would get costly to make a pillow case for "customer quilts" and most people wouldn't probably provide enough extra fabric for that. When you say reusable but not plastic, do you mean "green" so they won't harm the environment?

ManiacQuilter2 11-16-2011 03:53 PM

Have you ever made a tote??? You could make it the size you want especially if you use Home Dec fabric which is wider than cotton. You can even make a flat over the top. That is what I did. You can also make a pillow case without the cuff and add an extra fabric to make sure the quilt is protected. Handles are always easier to carry the quilt. GOOD LUCK !!

diamond68 11-16-2011 04:14 PM

I had a customer bring me a bag similar material to grocery reusable bags. It is 18 x 17 x5 and has a zipper and handles. Someone else had given it to her. I thought it would make a nice bag for carrying quilts to guild or to retreats.

Holice 11-16-2011 05:16 PM

my long arm quilter returns the quilt in one of the plain large brown shopping bags with handles. She puts her label on the bag and ties the handles with a piece of the backing she trimmed off.
I don't think you need anything fancy or permanent. I get the feeling you don't want plastic which is a good thought.
The brown paper bags work well. I certainly don't want anything permanent as the quilt is going on the bed or given away to someone else. You might sign on to the LongArm Yahoo list and ask what some of those quilters use.

JenniePenny 11-16-2011 05:20 PM

A good source for large paper bags with handles is Uline. They have tons of bags and packing supplies.

Xtgirl 11-16-2011 05:43 PM

Virginia long arm sells them..you can look on their website and decide if it's what you are looking for...I'm not affiliated with them although I do live in Virginia:)