Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   where do you all... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-all-t7775.html)

zyxquilts 06-03-2008 08:22 PM

I have taken a few to be quilted by my friend Rosie, on her long arm. Mostly I've quilted my own on my regular sewing machine. :D

Granny Cat 06-03-2008 09:16 PM

when you use your regular sewing machine how do you do that without bunching it all up?...do you use a pattern or do you just wing it?...is'nt there a design to quilting?...

tlrnhi 06-03-2008 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Granny Cat
when you use your regular sewing machine how do you do that without bunching it all up?...do you use a pattern or do you just wing it?...is'nt there a design to quilting?...

I can't hand stitch to save my life, so most of mine will mainly be tied, which I like because of the patterns I've used.
I have machine quilted them and would LOVE to be able to send them out, but since I live on a tiny pebble in the middle of the pacific, it's hard.

I roll mine up and have clamps that hold it and then I just wing it.

Katrine 06-03-2008 10:24 PM

I'm getting worried now. I have just finished piecing my first queen size, and have been doing alot of free motion practice because I intend to do my first FM quilting on it by machine. I have been looking at the top for a week trying to decide the pattern.
So many of you experienced ladies are using long arm or sending out quilts I wonder if I am being too ambitious? I thought about tying, but not sure if it would "suit" the top.

tlrnhi 06-03-2008 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Katrine
I'm getting worried now. I have just finished piecing my first queen size, and have been doing alot of free motion practice because I intend to do my first FM quilting on it by machine. I have been looking at the top for a week trying to decide the pattern.
So many of you experienced ladies are using long arm or sending out quilts I wonder if I am being too ambitious? I thought about tying, but not sure if it would "suit" the top.

The last one I machine quilted was 90 x 90.
HUGE!
I just rolled it and clamped it and took my time with it, doing an area at a time.

Katrine 06-03-2008 10:37 PM

Mine is 90x82. Much bigger than anything else I've tackled so far. I will machine quilt it ... as you say, just "take your time". I bought my new machine specifically to be able to cope, so I have to try.

Quilt4u 06-04-2008 01:08 AM

I hand quilt most of the time I sent one out to be quilted for my grandson's birthday but my daugther lost it and I have done a few free motion need more pratice though

moonhoney2 06-04-2008 04:53 AM

I'm new to all this too. I've been practicing with the free motion to try and get the hang of it. i am making a quilt for a twin size bed (not sure how big it will be yet as I keep flubbing on the squaring :oops: ) and am hoping to do a quilt as you go with that.

I can't imagine doing an entire quilt as one piece on my machine, but obviously it can be done. Just need to figure out how.

But I need to slow down and take it one step at a time. I'm so impatient with things. :lol:

Joan 06-04-2008 05:20 AM

I am a newby, too, and just the job of putting the quilt together is enough for me now. I checked at our local quilt store and they recommended a couple of long arm quilters. Loretta has done 3 of mine for a very reasonable rate and her work is lovely.

A lot of the quilters on this board quilt in the ditch (the seams) on their regular machines. I would like to try that one of these days but have to admit the ultimate would be to learn free motion! :lol:

retrogirl02 06-04-2008 05:39 AM

Granny Cat,
I've not yet tackled the biggie projects...I'll have to complete one before this is an issue :lol: . I have done smaller projects on the machine and prefer the stitch in the ditch method to the quilt as you go. My background is hand quilting which I would like to take time to enjoy but have to get the current project done and out before the next one takes over!

Katrine, if you have the time, go for it. If it's a project you need a quick turn around on, consider having it sent out. Some of the board members are familiar with long arm quilters and could certainly recommend a good one. First, I ask myself if the person receiving it will even notice a difference. Then I consider the amount of time I have before I need to have it completed. I prefer hand quilting for gifts but realize it's not always practical. Regardless of the method you choose, I'm sure it will be a lovely project and your time & skills appreciated.