Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where does everyone pin their layers together? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-does-everyone-pin-their-layers-together-t207062.html)

irishrose 11-27-2012 10:47 AM

Sharon Schamber method with a card table butter up to the dining room table. I've never had a tuck or wrinkle.

CorgiNole 11-27-2012 11:04 AM

I have a big board for my ironing board and pin in sections - with the backing clamped to the board with binder clips. I've tried on banquet tables but the leaning over gets to me. I have pinned the quilt to the board cover in the past, so now I slide my large cutting mat along the board (underneath all the layers) so that I catch only quilt on the pins.

Cheers, K

FURBALLS 11-27-2012 11:10 AM

We have a large area in our office and i will do them there, usually basting spray. I also have one of those tall dining tables at home and my next one will be done on that as I am going to use elmers glue. I tried it on a small wall hanging and have decided that works better as I wash most everything anyway.

gollytwo 11-27-2012 11:16 AM

Our town library has large tables that can be shoved together - that's where most of my small quilt group does theirs.

humbird 11-27-2012 11:25 AM

I do mine in sections on the dinning room table, much like several others have posted here. I just finished a set of place mats using the Elmer's glue method, and I am so impressed, that I will attempt to do my next quilt that way. My quilts are all at least queen size, and doing in sections has worked very well. I think the main thing is to use "a lot" of pins! and smooth as you go. Good luck with which ever method you choose.

franc36 11-27-2012 11:28 AM

Making the quilt sandwich is my least favorite part of quilting. My problem is lack of space. I use my long cutting table which is the perfect height; but my sewing room is so small that I don't have much room to move around on the back side of the table. Another problem is that because the table is not too wide, I usually pin the middle section, then have to reposition the quilt twice to pin the sides. I just finished pinning a quilt yesterday. Today, I started FMQ . It is a great feeling to finally be at the quilting stage.

mary quilting 11-27-2012 11:42 AM

I pin bast mine and use Sharon Schamber method I got my folding tables from WM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5683423)
I have folding tables from Walmart and use Sharon Schamber's method to roll them onto flat boards but instead of thread basting then I spray baste. It goes really, really fast that way. Sharon Schamber's videos are available on youtube.

Jingle 11-27-2012 12:02 PM

I have settled on one way after trying lots of others. Now I lay out my backing, batting and top and pin about every 3-4" in the center area. I have a glass topped dining table I go over as far as I can and move around as needed until it is all pinned. Table is small about 36x59". I have used plastic saw horses at end of table. I have tried a folding table, but they way I do now works out best for me. I don't crawl on the floor. I hope some of these ideas will work for you.

Bataplai 11-27-2012 12:18 PM

I use the dining room table. I secure the backing with clamps and 2" office clips. Between this and starching the backing fabric I don't have puckers. The largest top I've done is 50 x 75.

EllieGirl 11-27-2012 12:59 PM

I use the dining room table. I put an old blanket down, use spray basting, and spray in sections.