Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where To Find Information on This Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-find-information-machine-t158948.html)

Tinabug 10-08-2011 10:34 AM

9 Attachment(s)
I cannot find out when this machine was made or where to buy a cover plate and spool spindle. Don't know what it's worth, but it's green and I like it. I hope I can get it stitching. The serial # is B42416. The cover on the case is a dull green faux reptile look. It must have be very cool in its' day. Almost looks art decco with the pin striping. Anything I find out will be good, I only know it supposedly belonged to the seller's family. Paid $40.

Royal Body
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267884[/ATTACH]

thepolyparrot 10-08-2011 10:42 AM

It's a "clone" of the Singer 15, probably Japanese and from the early 50's. :)

Jenny at sew-classic.com carries the replacement parts - I would replace the motor, foot control and cords - you can also get some TriFlo liquid, good quality metal bobbins, spool pins, (she has both tap-in and screw-in types) a bobbin cover plate and some spool felts. I like the spool pins that have holes in the top - that way, I can use my cone thread on a stand and thread the machine through the hole in the spool pin instead of taping a darning needle or safety pin to the machine. :)

Tinabug 10-08-2011 11:09 AM

It does say Made in Japan on the Medallion and at the top of the medallion it says Los Angeles. I plugged it in to see if the light worked and it did. But the cord is flaking and exposing the copper wire, so it's a danger. I will contact Jenny and get the recommended items. Otherwise the body is in fine condition. It was too cute to pass up. Will Jenny know what motor to put on it or can I get that from my local sewing machine shop?
Thanks for helping me out thepolyparrot! :-)

Scotlass 10-08-2011 12:42 PM

I love green too, so probably would of been tempted myself. I just have too many machines already (did I say that?) can't believe that came out of my keyboard. I am going to wash my fingers out with soap!! LOL

jillaine 10-08-2011 12:46 PM

$40.... sweeeet....

grayhare 10-08-2011 04:43 PM

Wow! What a beautiful machine, love the green!

virtualbernie 10-08-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
It's a "clone" of the Singer 15, probably Japanese and from the early 50's. :)

That's what I was thinking too--the back end looks like my 15 but it has a bobbin case set up like my 66... Thanks for the heads up about the spool pin. I've been rigging up stuff so I can use my cone thread! :thumbup:

montanajan 10-08-2011 09:20 PM

The Japanese-manufactured Singer clones were made very well from all I've read about them - specs were tight to meet American standards.
Have fun w/ your new toy.

TheSevenYearStitch 10-08-2011 10:07 PM

What a beauty! I loooove it! You should call her the Green-eyed Monster--you're bound to get a lot of envy!

sewbeadit 10-08-2011 11:19 PM

I do believe Polyparrot is correct. Lots of those types made and a lot were very good machines, we are finding out now. Looks like it is in good shape, probably will do you well.