Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Whiney Whiner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whiney-whiner-t104446.html)

luckylindy333 03-02-2011 03:01 PM

I hacked up a whole fat quarter yesterday. I discovered for myself that it is really hard to accurately cut one layer of fabric. Then, I got my blocks cut, and then I discovered that I did not have enough for what I wanted to do, I threw the pieces in my scrap basket and went looking for a bigger piece of fabric today.

Success! I found a piece of Kaffe Facett's fabric that I bought a few years ago that is giant paisleys- I hope it comes out OK as I cut it into 31/2" blocks. It is shades of orange, lavender, and greens, with an off-white background. I am putting with it some orange and an off-white print that looks like dried flower petals.

gale 03-02-2011 03:24 PM

Yep, I've gotten plenty of scraps that way.

BellaBoo 03-02-2011 03:35 PM

Let me tell you about hacked fat quarters! My DGD about 5 years old asked me if she cut cut a flower shape from my scraps. I said sure and didn't pay much attention to her. She knew how to safety pin the template on the fabric and cut around it with her scissors. Not pefect but close enough. I had a big basket of fat quarters next to my scrap basket. Yep she cut one flower from most of each fat quarter and cut it right out of the middle. LOL. I framed one of the fat quarters with the flower cut out and hung it in my sewing room. I smile every time I look at it.

Tussymussy 03-02-2011 03:37 PM

that certainly strikes a cord. The number of times I have cut fabric into useless pieces.......

Stitchnripper 03-02-2011 03:38 PM

I just cut a bunch of wrong size pieces this past weekend. I kept saying "What?????" And I used the June Tailor thing shape cutter. I couldn't believe myself.

cctx. 03-02-2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Let me tell you about hacked fat quarters! My DGD about 5 years old asked me if she cut cut a flower shape from my scraps. I said sure and didn't pay much attention to her. She knew how to safety pin the template on the fabric and cut around it with her scissors. Not pefect but close enough. I had a big basket of fat quarters next to my scrap basket. Yep she cut one flower from most of each fat quarter and cut it right out of the middle. LOL. I framed one of the fat quarters with the flower cut out and hung it in my sewing room. I smile every time I look at it.

Been there with my grand girl too, but it's well worth it!

gale 03-02-2011 04:20 PM

My kids did that with a lot of my scrapbooking paper. At the time it was like the end of the world but I haven't used hardly any of my paper anyway, 10 yrs later. :roll:

luckylindy333 03-02-2011 06:30 PM

LOL, everyone!

ncsewer 03-02-2011 06:53 PM

Make a framed one for her too! When she is setting up her own sewing room, she can remember those fun days.

LivelyLady 03-02-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Yep, I've gotten plenty of scraps that way.

LOL me too :oops: