Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   White? Never again!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/white-never-again-t178440.html)

AshleyR 02-07-2012 05:48 AM

White? Never again!!!

I am working on 3 quilts right now.. one is practically solid white top and black backing. Another is solid white with applique on it. I will NEVER use so much white in a quilt! Every little thing shows on these stupid quilts and they just get a little bit dirty and they look filthy!

I'm doing a lot of griping today so I may have more posts!

judylg 02-07-2012 05:52 AM

But once you are done with it and wash it, which should be done a lot of the time anyways, it will be beautiful with the white.

Lori S 02-07-2012 06:19 AM

Oh .. I can completely concur with you about using white. It had been a long time since I used white , pure plain white... the entire process , was miserable.... every thread nippet , piece of fuzz , you name it seemed to find its way onto the white fabric. I even pricked my finger at one point.. and had tiny spots of blood. Plus making sure my iron was absolutely clean at all times. I made a vow never to forget and repeat the experience of pure white fabric.

susie-susie-susie 02-07-2012 06:28 AM

I never use pure white. It seems better to use white on white. Don't know why but it doesn't seem to show everything like plain white does.
Sue

valleyquiltermo 02-07-2012 07:33 AM

You will be fine, and the quilt will be sew lovely when you are done with it.

Annie68 02-07-2012 07:34 AM

No fan of white myself for just those reasons already posted. Never use it any more.

Judith1005 02-07-2012 07:42 AM

You know what, Thank You!! I have been thinking of doing a pure white. But, for just the reasons you listed, I've held off. Maybe I will try a small trial piece of white on white to see how that goes.

Good luck. Hugz! I'm sorry your having a terrible time with this. But yall may have saved many of us from a mistake.

I have been so attracted to the pure white. It's on every website and blog. And It's beautiful. But, I also have a cat and two dogs. I'm really re-thinking that it would really be a mistake to do that right now. Maybe someday. (back on the bucket list it goes. I like to use my quilts.)

crafty pat 02-07-2012 07:50 AM

All the quilts my DM made were on white backgrounds, With my DD's dogs sleeping on the bed with them when they are here the quilts get so bad I am washing them all the time.

irishrose 02-07-2012 07:57 AM

I've used pure white sashing and didn't notice anything.

What I am noticing is how much flannel picks up. I am FMQ a donation quilt a group of us made. Either the person who put the borders on has a cat or this quilt is picking up dog undercoat that I never see. It's going in the dryer with a dryer sheet before it goes to the person who doing the binding. Grrr.

bnndr 02-07-2012 08:08 AM

I love white and used it in my aviatar quilt. Didn't have much trouble with soiling or picking up other threads, but now I am working on a black background quilt and it does pick up everything. Hope it will be okay once I wash and use a lint roller on it. Love the look of black background quilts but hate the ick they pick up.