Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   who makes the rules? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-makes-rules-t85390.html)

Unique Creations 12-26-2010 08:45 PM

I think of the "Quilt Police" as my own inner voice telling me what looks good--Pattern, fabric, color, combinations, etc. And yes, if you are going to enter a contest, the judges would be the quilt police!

sandraa 12-26-2010 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
I don't know who makes the rules. I don't pay any attention to 'rules' any more. I make the quilts I like to make & don't give a rip about what someone in some book or magazine might think about it. If I like it, that's good enough for me.

DITTO!!

tjradj 12-26-2010 09:11 PM

You make your own rules for your quilts.
The only time following "rules" is important is when you're following someone else's pattern and expecting the same result they got.
Otherwise, "what rules?" works for me.

fleurdelisquilts.com 12-26-2010 09:16 PM

To me the rules are just guidelines that generally make things work better or make a process easier. I don't even call them "rules" when teaching. Instead, I say there are "suggestions" that we may (or may not) want to follow. Doing so makes us better at our craft, and who doesn't want to be better? So we read and take classes to learn new techniques and to improve for our own satisfaction. As with most things, we have to make decisions based on what works for us at the moment and based on common sense.

The quilt police are like the fashion police, they exist in a strange kind of way, but after a while who really cares? I still wear my jeans, tee shirts and athletic shoes because to me comfort is more important than fashion. Do people find me dowdy and unfashionable? Absolutely, but it doesn't matter one bit if I'm comfortable.

hperttula123 12-26-2010 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The only rule that must be followed is.......enjoy what you do!:)

That's right!!! I agree 100%.

bkb 12-26-2010 09:35 PM

If quilters jail is a Retreat I may just call the Quilt police to be arrested!

quiltgrammyt2 12-26-2010 09:55 PM

If the "Quilting Police" knock on my door they better have a BIG ticket book.LOL.
I quilt for the enjoyment of it.

Anne P 12-26-2010 10:45 PM

I believe that some of what we think of as "rules" are really tried and true methods that have evolved over many, many years from the experience of others. If you want to use other methods, and they work for you, go for it!

jemma 12-26-2010 10:58 PM

be aware--- the quilt police are out there you see them at quilt shows taking great joy in pointing out to one another their percieved mistakes on the quilts on view ---poor things we need to feel sorry for them they would not konow real joy if the fell over it---quilt tricks /hints tried +true however is our heritage and should be passed on willingly to all who will listen as a valuble resource--just like this board

cheryl rearick 12-26-2010 11:37 PM

I never thought to try any thing other than a 1/4" maybe because my sister in law owns a quilt shot. haha.... I try hard but still find it difficult to make a steady seam. Quilt Police? I'm way behind never heard of them.