Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who would have thought baby girl fabric was so difficult (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-would-have-thought-baby-girl-fabric-so-difficult-t226412.html)

bigredharley 07-23-2013 05:37 PM

Who would have thought baby girl fabric was so difficult

Needed to make a couple baby quilts - simple pattern using 12 fat quarters. My LQS has so little baby fabric, so got a few suggestions from the board on where to look.

Bought CelebrationG-FQB-900.jpg and proceeded to start assembly. Love the look but didn't think to look for coordinating fabric for borders/binding. Now I find they don't make any.

Looking like it's gonna be one white border and one color :(

Lesson learned- choose it all at one time.

EasyPeezy 07-23-2013 05:59 PM

You can still buy yardage from Fat Quarter Shop and probably other places online.
FQS yardage will be available in August. You can sign up with them and they will
let you know when it's available.

bigredharley 07-24-2013 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 6192947)
You can still buy yardage from Fat Quarter Shop and probably other places online.
FQS yardage will be available in August. You can sign up with them and they will
let you know when it's available.

yardage for that pattern will come out in August?

AlienQuilter 07-24-2013 03:43 AM

I had a similar problem with my tumbler quilt. I took my almost completed top in to a fabric store and the owner and her mother helped me pick out a solid red that went with the red in some of the blocks. Solid colors are impossible to match up on the computer/internet. You need to lay the fabric together.

Those fabrics are gorgeous! I bet a solid pink and/or yellow would work really well.

And I think I remember seeing pink zebra minkee somewhere which would be perfect for backing fabric - so soft and cuddly.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pink+...w=1123&bih=606

nanna-up-north 07-24-2013 03:58 AM

Yup!.... a trip to the quilt shop with top in hand. Life doesn't get any better than this, does it?

IrishNY 07-24-2013 09:44 AM

I was caught unaware by this before. I purchased charm squares and put together the quilt but then realized that the matching yardage wasn't in stores yet. Moda apparently releases pre-cuts in advance of the accompanying yardage. If you can be patient, it looks like it should be out next month. Check the Moda fabric page.

SusanSusan33 07-24-2013 10:05 AM

I'm a matchy-matchy person, too... Though I see A LOT of quilts where the borders/ binding isn't repeated in the quilt and it looks lovely. I need to try that sometime.

Chester the bunny 07-24-2013 12:06 PM

Rarely do I ever use a collection of fabrics although I think they look lovely together as they are meant to.
Just make your top and do as Mama up North suggested, take your top to the fabric store and pick a border, something like a novelty print for little girls that uses the colors in the top. I think that would give it some interest and make the quilt all your own.

mckwilter 07-24-2013 12:32 PM

You could do a white border, then a pieced border using fabric left from your FQ bundle (if there is any). I have become very fond of pieced borders.

Gabrielle's Mimi 07-25-2013 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 6194004)
I was caught unaware by this before. I purchased charm squares and put together the quilt but then realized that the matching yardage wasn't in stores yet. Moda apparently releases pre-cuts in advance of the accompanying yardage. If you can be patient, it looks like it should be out next month. Check the Moda fabric page.

Wow....this QB is amazing! Just yesterday I received a dessert roll in the mail that I purchased on eBay. I went to several online sites trying to find fabric for borders and could not find any. I thought that everyone must be sold out, or that it was last year's line. Well, I went to Moda as you suggested, and the fabric line isn't coming out until next month! Who knew they released precuts early??? Many thanks for this helpful information. You made my day. (PS...I used to live in the Syracuse area.)