Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why advice against tying quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-advice-against-tying-quilts-t166318.html)

AnotherMadQuilter 11-05-2011 11:54 AM

Why advice against tying quilts?

I am curious why so many advise against tying quilts? That was the most common practice in my experience. In fact I never saw a "quilted" quilt until I was well into adult hood. Is it more a regional preference or is there some other reasons for this advice?

QUILTNMO 11-05-2011 11:56 AM

our bee makes quilts for hospice we tie them i think its all up to the person making the quilts your own prefance

Dolphyngyrl 11-05-2011 12:07 PM

never heard of that, tie as many as you want. It your quilts. I think tying suits some patterns better probably.

DebraK 11-05-2011 12:10 PM

I tie the string quilts that I foundation piece. I quilt everything else.

grann of 6 11-05-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnotherMadQuilter (Post 4636903)
I am curious why so many advise against tying quilts? That was the most common practice in my experience. In fact I never saw a "quilted" quilt until I was well into adult hood. Is it more a regional preference or is there some other reasons for this advice?

You have to remember in the old days, things didn't get washed in agitator washers, and didn't get washed often. If you are making for charities, many want sturdy quilts that will stand up to commercial washers. I see nothing wrong with hand-tied quilts, but have found them not to hold up to todays lifestyles as well as machine quilted quilts. Just remember, they are YOUR quilts and you can do as you please, there are no quilt police around here.

Pam S 11-05-2011 12:20 PM

It's just personal preference. Not everybody has the time, talent, or inclination to do intricate quilting. I have some beautiful quilts that my great-grandmother tied and I don't value them any less than the ones she hand quilted. I belong to a group that makes charity quilts and we tie almost all of them - we can make more quilts faster that way.

Vicki W 11-05-2011 12:20 PM

I think it might be regional. I had never seen a tied quilt in my childhood. All of my grannies and aunts were quilted. I am in Georgia and am most familar with quilts from Georgia and East Tennessee (my mother's girlhood home)

loves_2_quilt 11-05-2011 12:23 PM

Personal prefence machine quilt, hand quilt, tie what ever you like.

greenini 11-05-2011 12:25 PM

I tied the log cabin quilt on our bed right now and just machine quilted the borders. we've been using it about 10 years about half the year in the winter and it doesn't get washed all that often, but it seems to be holding up just fine. I do think some of the charities prefer quilted, but tying for your use...why not?

auntmag 11-05-2011 12:28 PM

My mother tied most of her quilts. I think it was a time saver for her, she had 11 children to care for and the kids could help with the tying under her supervision.