Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Do I Have to Buy New Rulers for Every Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-i-have-buy-new-rulers-every-quilt-t218530.html)

quiltingfan 04-07-2013 06:04 PM

Why Do I Have to Buy New Rulers for Every Quilt?

It seems like every time I want to make a new quilt I have to buy another ruler ? This time it is a Tri -Rec Tool. For making triangle. It looks like the triangles are more spiky then normal triangles. ANybody have the answer? I am hoping to make a Civil War quilt in the Fons and Potter magazine, called Evening Start. Has anybody made this one before? I am getting really tired of buying new rulers. Maybe I just don't have enough tools yet.

Maureen 04-07-2013 06:05 PM

Usually you can get the same angle on one of your other rulers. I have bought a few for different quilts then noticed I could us one I had.

Maggiem 04-07-2013 06:32 PM

I honestly don't think we really do need new rulers... It's as if we have a collective reputation for being bad in geometry and math, which I refuse to believe we are. We used to use templates and/or work out our own angles, and we can still do it. Different types of triangles are not rocket science!

mighty 04-07-2013 07:41 PM

I have purchased many rulers only to find out that I could have used one I already had. Study the ruler and make sure you really need it and can not do the quilt without it.

snipforfun 04-07-2013 08:26 PM

Joanns carries Tri Rec rulers. Use a coupon!

GrannieAnnie 04-07-2013 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan (Post 5985470)
It seems like every time I want to make a new quilt I have to buy another ruler ? This time it is a Tri -Rec Tool. For making triangle. It looks like the triangles are more spiky then normal triangles. ANybody have the answer? I am hoping to make a Civil War quilt in the Fons and Potter magazine, called Evening Start. Has anybody made this one before? I am getting really tired of buying new rulers. Maybe I just don't have enough tools yet.

What kind of quilts are you making? I have some square and rectangles, more for convenience than anything. But I've never bought a certain ruler for a certain quilt. I think someone is taking advantage of you.

GrannieAnnie 04-07-2013 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan (Post 5985470)

Typo? Evening star?? That quilt is about as simple as they come. A grade school ruler would do the job

ludlowquiltandsew 04-07-2013 10:14 PM

Most quilts can be made with just one or two basic rulers and templates. I'd rather spend the money on fabric!

janedee 04-07-2013 10:55 PM

Agree with all the above - I only have a few 'quilting' rulers and a basic maths set - its just a way to make you spend more

earthwalker 04-07-2013 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ludlowquiltandsew (Post 5985751)
Most quilts can be made with just one or two basic rulers and templates. I'd rather spend the money on fabric!

I agree....and if you find the job of working it out too difficult...ask someone in your family to give you a hand....there's usually a math whiz somewhere amongst family or friends. They get a kick out of helping too:)