Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do seam rippers have cylindrical handles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-seam-rippers-have-cylindrical-handles-t210878.html)

Peckish 01-13-2013 07:41 PM

I wish they'd make them more ergonomic with a larger handle, also. I have several, but my favorite is Alex Anderson's 4-in-1 tool. It has a large, easy-to-grip handle, a stiletto, a point turner, and a presser.

GrannieAnnie 01-13-2013 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie (Post 5783913)
I am so tired of mine rolling off to parts unknown (usually under the extension table). It has not got a nice wood turned handle, you understand- it is just injection moulded plastic. Would it not be just as easy to make it a shape to fit the hand and not roll?!!!!

I still think some man designed them (apologies to our male quilters!)

GrannieAnnie 01-13-2013 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5783990)
Clover makes both a white round handled one, a flat while one (Premier) and a brown flat handled one with a plastic point cover. All have that fabulous narrow point and very sharp blade. LOVE 'em! I buy the brown flat ones for less than $4 usually and keep 4-5 on hand.

Jan in VA

:::::::grannie trucking off to the store tomorrow:::::::::::::: or the next day!

noveltyjunkie 01-14-2013 12:01 AM

Me too!! Thanks.

Originally Posted by mighty (Post 5784152)
Thanks Jan! I am going to get some like those. I to am getting tired of chasing mine!

noveltyjunkie 01-14-2013 12:08 AM

I like the sound of this too- I use my rolling ripper as a stilletto and it does not make the job any easier.

You have all opened my eyes- for the price of a coffee and a chocolate I can make my life easier. I am going to divorce the runaway ripper and skip away clicking my heels......

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5784598)
I wish they'd make them more ergonomic with a larger handle, also. I have several, but my favorite is Alex Anderson's 4-in-1 tool. It has a large, easy-to-grip handle, a stiletto, a point turner, and a presser.

Knitette 01-14-2013 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is ergonomic, flat, very thin and sharp and pink - my favourite by far.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]388003[/ATTACH]

Bearpawquilter 01-14-2013 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5784610)
I still think some man designed them (apologies to our male quilters!)

Speaking of! I won a seam ripper made by Snap On tools, you know, the mechanics tools people. The tip was so fat I couldn't get it under the thread. Cute idea, not usable. I use the clover white handle and love it. The metal part came loose but a dab of hot glue fixed it. Happily unsewing in Alaska.

bunniequilter 01-14-2013 07:26 AM

I also have the Alex Anderson 4 in 1 and love it! It is large enough you won't loose it. I have put my other rippers in a jar on the shelf and havent touched them since buying my 4 in 1.