Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do seam rippers have cylindrical handles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-seam-rippers-have-cylindrical-handles-t210878.html)

noveltyjunkie 01-13-2013 02:32 PM

Why do seam rippers have cylindrical handles?

I am so tired of mine rolling off to parts unknown (usually under the extension table). It has not got a nice wood turned handle, you understand- it is just injection moulded plastic. Would it not be just as easy to make it a shape to fit the hand and not roll?!!!!

Bneighbor 01-13-2013 02:52 PM

Wrap a rubber band around the handle several times. Harder for it to roll away and gives you "something" to hold on better with.

DogHouseMom 01-13-2013 02:58 PM

Be nice to yourself and get the Clover seam cutter. The shape of the handle prevents if from rolling, it fits nice in the hand, has a wonderful sharp sharp point.

ckcowl 01-13-2013 02:59 PM

i have numerous seam rippers- all shaped/sized differently- they do make them---i have ones that are triangular, a rubber (ergonomic) one, ones that have pointy ends, a beaded one....just shop around & find one that *suits your fancy* a bit better- or wrap something around it to give it some 'grip' like a rubber band, yarn, ...

Jan in VA 01-13-2013 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clover makes both a white round handled one, a flat while one (Premier) and a brown flat handled one with a plastic point cover. All have that fabulous narrow point and very sharp blade. LOVE 'em! I buy the brown flat ones for less than $4 usually and keep 4-5 on hand.

Jan in VA

dunster 01-13-2013 03:22 PM

I love those brown-handled Clover seam rippers too, also the white round-handled ones. I tried the two-tone purple Dritz rippers (tried 2 or 3 of them) and the tips broke almost immediately. I don't know if it was just a bad batch or if the points are too narrow for the metal they're made of, but I don't intend to try them again.

auntpiggylpn 01-13-2013 03:33 PM

I have never seen that Clover ripper with the brown handle!!! I have several of the blue plastic flat handled ones though. Cheap and easily replaced. However, I am now on a quest to find that Clover ripper!!!!

BellaBoo 01-13-2013 04:15 PM

I replace seam rippers often. If I have to tug on a thread for it to cut then it's no good to me anymore. I like the Clover round white handle one. It just looks a little more elegant to me.

mighty 01-13-2013 04:21 PM

Thanks Jan! I am going to get some like those. I to am getting tired of chasing mine!

QuiltE 01-13-2013 07:28 PM

I have the brown one shown above, as well as the Clover one with the white round end.
Both are equally as good for sharpness and fine point.

However, I like the feel of the round white one in my hand, much better than the flat brown.

Get in the habit of putting the round ones in the same place all the time ... where you know it cannot take off on you!