Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do we do it this way??? Ever wondered (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-we-do-way-ever-wondered-t57636.html)

seamstome 08-03-2010 10:00 AM

This is one of those "why do we do it this way" questions that has always bugged me.

We use a double folded binding so it doesnt wear. I get that part. But why is the most accepted way to attach it hand stitching on the back? I would think the hand stitching would not be as sturdy as machine stitching.

Do you have other "Hmmmmm" things about quilting that you wonder?

kathy 08-03-2010 10:03 AM

well since the binding isn't stressed (the stitches) if you use good strong thread, make small stitches and pull them tight, they should never come undone. If they're left loose and can be toe hangers, then it aint gonna last. and that's the only way mine looks decent on the back.

seamstome 08-03-2010 10:07 AM

See I never thought of it that way. I figured if the binding would get as much stress as the rest of the quilt, maybe more because it was on the edge.

susiequilt 08-03-2010 11:47 AM

The binding will get as much stress as the rest of the quilt that's why it's double fabric but the stitches won't because they are not on the edge but 1 inch inside the edge and under the binding where they are somewhat protected.

momymom 08-03-2010 01:02 PM

Also, the binding usually wears out first. Would you want to have to take out 2 rows of machine stitching to replace a binding? I also think hand stitched binding looks so much better. I tryed to machine stitch the back side of a binding. It was terrible. I ripped it out and hand stitched it. I've done it that way ever since.

HeatherQuilts 08-03-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by momymom
I also think hand stitched binding looks so much better. I tryed to machine stitch the back side of a binding. It was terrible. I ripped it out and hand stitched it. I've done it that way ever since.

Too funny! I machine quilt my binding on for this same reason! It looks reeeealllly bad when I try to do it by hand, plus I just don't have the patience!
I sew it on to the top with 1/4 inch, then fold it over to the back, pin the heck out of it, and SitD on the front, being sure to catch the binding on the back.
To each their own! We all just need to do what works for us! :D

Prism99 08-03-2010 01:09 PM

Machine stitching to the front ensures an even edge on the front. Not everyone's hand stitching on the back looks that great!

sewcrafty 08-03-2010 01:18 PM

I personally like the look of hand stitching better than doing it by machine. You need to understand that I do like a lot of hand stuff though (handquilting, applique, etc.). Just floats my boat!! :lol:

seamstome 08-03-2010 01:26 PM

I just wondered why it was the standard.

HeatherQuilts 08-03-2010 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I just wondered why it was the standard.

I think it's just one of those things, for a lot of us, it's just the way we were taught. Because that's "the way it's supposed to be done" so to speak. Just like when every quilt used to be totally done by hand. Nowadays ( :lol: :lol: I feel funny saying that!) you can choose to do everything by hand, or everything by machine, or a combination of both.