Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why does it not look right to me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-does-not-look-right-me-t74807.html)

Phyllis Carol 11-07-2010 04:38 AM

I have been working on some wall hangings -- hand piecing and hand quilting. The pieces are roughly 20" x 24". After the quilting is done, the finished product looks as though I have not sandwiched it taut enough. It is too lumpy/bumpy for my discerning eye. I do sandwich the layers using masking tape and baste from the center out in all directions. While I know that the galloping horseman would not see this, I wonder if I am being too picky? if there is an alternate way to do the sandwiching? if I should stop being such a perfectionist? Thanks for your ideas. Phyllis Carol

thequiltmama 11-07-2010 04:40 AM

Do you have a pic? I have noticed you get less puckering if you use the cotton batting that is flatter. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Phyllis Carol
I have been working on some wall hangings -- hand piecing and hand quilting. The pieces are roughly 20" x 24". After the quilting is done, the finished product looks as though I have not sandwiched it taut enough. It is too lumpy/bumpy for my discerning eye. I do sandwich the layers using masking tape and baste from the center out in all directions. While I know that the galloping horseman would not see this, I wonder if I am being too picky? if there is an alternate way to do the sandwiching? if I should stop being such a perfectionist? Thanks for your ideas. Phyllis Carol [email protected]

:)

mom-6 11-07-2010 04:45 AM

What type of batting are you using? I've noticed that different ones give different finished looks.

raptureready 11-07-2010 04:54 AM

Are you stretching the backing when you tape it down? That can cause some major "lumpy" looks on the front of the finished product.

bigsister63 11-07-2010 07:14 AM

Make sure you are using good backing. I have found that the stiffer the backing the less it puckers. Starch cheaper backing if want to stiffer.

Phyllis Carol 11-07-2010 08:35 AM

I use polyester batting with low loft. All of my fabric is 100% cotton. I have nerver used starch before.

IBQUILTIN 11-07-2010 11:01 AM

I spray baste, especially smaller pieces, but have learned to spray the batting, not the fabric. Seems to help keep them smoother

amma 11-07-2010 01:15 PM

I use polyester batting with low loft. All of my fabric is 100% cotton. I have nerver used starch before.

Maybe try a flatter cotton batting, even low loft poly is puffier than say Warm and Natural :D:D:D

thequiltmama 11-07-2010 01:20 PM

agreed

Originally Posted by amma

Maybe try a flatter cotton batting, even low loft poly is puffier than say Warm and Natural :D:D:D

:thumbup: