Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why I make scrappies I think. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-make-scrappies-i-think-t215513.html)

crafty2 03-06-2013 04:05 PM

Scrappy quilts are great forreminding us of the past. plus color value does not matter as most quilts. Last but not least favorite fabricscan go into many quilts.

deedum 03-06-2013 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl (Post 5905876)
I agree with Deedum - doing a scrappy is easier and more relaxing as there is less to think bout and you can just enjoy sewing. I like to do crumbs because there is less thought, very easy and the results always look great! - just like putting a puzzle together.

I like crumbs too. I gave my dear dear friend a crumb lap quilt, and she says it is her favorite quilt ever and she has a closet of them. She cuddles with it ever night.

deedum 03-06-2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by clsurz (Post 5908230)
Because I'm a free spirit and do not like to be known as a cookie cutter,i.e., following someone else's creations. I like one of a kind thing when it comes to creating.

I don't think I could duplicate even what I create if I tried cause my mind just does not work that way. I see it in my mind and I start sewing, slashing and/or cutting it all after I sew and recreate it many times.

Exactly, I too am a free spirit away from work that is. I love doing my own thing.!!! My friend will stew and fuss over just the right color of block while I just throw a block on the design wall without even thinking about it. I am so free this way. I have done BOM and structured quilts but my favorite hands done is my scrappies. As mentioned earlier,people tend to use these quilts. It is all good though.

earthwalker 03-06-2013 05:24 PM

Whilst I do make "planned quilts" and when visiting the QB never fail to be impressed by the wonderful work of the quilters here. Somehow scrappies and antique/old fashioned quilts and waggas (Aussie scrappies), Gees Bend and the work of the Tutwiler quilters seem to draw me in. As mentioned by others...scrappies and the like evoke comfort and warmth....even happiness. I also have a love of the written word....so I thought I'd share one of my favourite poems, Pied Beauty. Sort of sums up the "scrappies" of the world:)

Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-1889)
Pied Beauty

Glory be to God for dappled things—
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced—fold, fallow, and plough;
And áll trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spáre, strange;
Whatever is fickle, frecklčd (who knows how?)
With swíft, slów; sweet, sóur; adázzle, dím;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is pást change:

Práise hím.

SouthPStitches 03-06-2013 05:30 PM

I've just finished my first two scrappies. Can't say it is easy for me. Seemed like more work, pulling out fabric and trying hard not to worry about how it all would come out. Found I was really over thinking each and every fabric choice. Guess I tend to do "controlled scrappy". That being said, there was enormous satisfaction from both that I haven't experienced from other quilts made. These two quilts seem to have more warmth, heart and soul in them. Maybe it's the memory thing, looking at certain fabric and remembering where you got it, or from whom you received it. Perhaps it's a mini history of other quilts you made before it.

noveltyjunkie 03-07-2013 12:56 AM

I just like the dolly mixture look of them ( dolly mixtures are coloured sweets/candies). In my case they are neither thrifty nor resourceful- being without a stash I buy FQs specially for scrappies!

I thought I liked randomness, but the more I do the more I realise this is not so. I like a harmonious scrappy.

I'm not a matchy matchy person. I like that scrappies deliberately don't fit in with everything else (although I do limit my main colours for each one- see randomness point above!)

For me it's also really important that my work is unique. For that reason I don't like strict rules/ patterns with preordained colour choices.

debbieoh 03-08-2013 02:03 PM

Think they look old fashion and that I love plus helps use up scraps

carla m 03-08-2013 03:36 PM

i normally pick patterns and colors and get started but i love the look of scrappy quilts im just not sure im going to be able to let go but if i dont im in serious trouble im going to drown in scraps lol. i just organized my main stash of fabric and it took 2 days i put all my scraps in a plastic tub i switched to a larger tub 3 times and its almost full lol so i have to get started soon. wish me luck lol i kinda get lost when i try to wing it. my mil drew me a pattern of a square she used to make a scrappy quilt and it was gorgeous so i will try. i have to get my self together for a job interview
next week so it wont happen this weekend ill keep you posted.
carla

deedum 03-08-2013 03:42 PM

I like not having to select colors, I pull scraps pieces out of the bag and put flowers with stripes of many colors. My friend is appalled that I put polka dots right next to wildlife or whatever. It all works! never give it a second look and it all comes together so beautifully.