Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why many books have no instructions for 2 1/2 inch binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-many-books-have-no-instructions-2-1-2-inch-binding-t205448.html)

IAmCatOwned 11-08-2012 09:22 AM

Why many books have no instructions for 2 1/2 inch binding?

A question on here brought up another question for me. Many of my quilting books, including the reference guides, give instructions for every width bias binding except 2 1/2 inch, using the bias methods. MOST people I know use 2 1/2 inch binding, so what's with these authors leaving out the most obvious and commonly used size from their instructions? I have long since made a laminated sheet of the instructions that *I* use, but am just wondering. This has got to be annoying to beginners.

I refer to instructions for making continuous binding from squares. I since discovered Shelley Roger's mathematical instructions, so can calculate it out myself for either rectangles or squares.

Bneighbor 11-08-2012 09:29 AM

Thank you for the link...I have wanted written directions, with pictures for the longest time. Very good instructions.

MTS 11-08-2012 09:34 AM

Me thinks beginners have enough to worry about without adding continuous binding to the list.

You really only need bias binding if there are curves on the quilt edge or a striped fabric you want to highlight.

I just looked quickly at five (pretty recently published) quilt books sitting in a reachable pile (on the floor), and none of them suggest doing the binding that way.

Otherwise, one can do a killer binding using straight cuts of fabrics.

I cut my straight binding 2-1/4" (as do most people I know).

I don't really think it's a big problem.

PaperPrincess 11-08-2012 11:57 AM

Ah, yes, the Dread Pirate! I've been using her instructions for at least 4 or 5 years. I think her instructions are very easy to follow. Having said that, I only use bias binding on curved edges or rounded corners. everything else I cut at 2.25" WOF

QuiltNama 11-08-2012 02:38 PM

I only use bias when doing curves, odd shapes, or rounded corners, and make it 2". All other binding I do on straight grain at 2 1/4".

cattailsquilts 11-08-2012 03:49 PM

I generally only use bias when the fabric has a linear design that I don't want to look so rigid. I usually do 2-1/4 binding also, it's plenty wide enough for my W&N quilts, or ones I do with polar fleece back & no batting.

Awesome link, though, adding it to my 'how-to's for when I *do* need it!

Jackie Spencer 11-08-2012 06:27 PM

I never cut my binding on the bias either unless I have curves, or Im using a stripe. I cut my binding 2.25 always

Silver Needle 11-08-2012 06:34 PM

Thanks so much for this link. I usually use straight binding but am glad to have this info at my fingertips. I'd like to do some striped fabric as bias binding. I always learn something reading QB.

batikmystique 11-09-2012 04:35 PM

What a helpful link! Going to print this out. Just bought a bias binding tool (like the one used in the Missouri Quilt Company tut) so anxious to give it a whirl.