Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why The QB is Great For Your Healthy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-qb-great-your-healthy-t159136.html)

JUNEC 10-09-2011 06:35 AM

They Teach It at Stanford

In an evening class at Stanford the last lecture was on the mind-body connection - the relationship between stress and disease. The speaker (head of psychiatry at Stanford) said, among other things, that one of the best things that a man could do for his health is to be married to a woman whereas for a woman, one of the best things she could do for her health was to nurture her relationships with her girlfriends. At first everyone laughed, but he was serious.
Women connect with each other differently and provide support systems that help each other to deal with stress and difficult life experiences. Physically this quality “girlfriend time" helps us to create more serotonin - a neurotransmitter that helps combat depression and can create a general feeling of well-being. Women share feelings whereas men often form relationships around activities. They rarely sit down with a buddy and talk about how they feel about certain things or how their personal lives are going. Jobs? Yes. Sports? Yes. Cars? Yes. Fishing, hunting, golf? Yes. But their feelings? Rarely.
Women do it all of the time. We share from our souls with our sisters/mothers, and evidently that is very GOOD for our health. He said that spending time with a friend is just as important to our general health as jogging or working out at a gym.
There's a tendency to think that when we are "exercising" we are doing something good for our bodies, but when we are hanging out with friends, we are wasting our time and should be more productively engaged—not true. In fact, he said that failure to create and maintain quality personal relationships with other humans is as dangerous to our physical health as smoking!
So every time you hang out to schmooze with a gal pal, just pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for doing something good for your health! We are indeed very, very lucky. Sooooo let's toast to our friendship with our girlfriends. Evidently it's very good for our health.

Since I am on the QB all the time - I am going to be very healthy

crafty pat 10-09-2011 06:43 AM

Great idea. It is so much fun to.

athomenow 10-09-2011 06:47 AM

I should ace any checkups if that's the case. I spend too much time on here and my house shows it! Oh well the dirt will still be there when I get around to it! No cleaning fairies here.

Granna of 5 10-09-2011 06:49 AM

This information is very enlightening. Now when I meet with my sister to sew I know it is good for me. I knew I felt better and more inspired to work on my projects. Thanks for the info.

JUNEC 10-09-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I should ace any checkups if that's the case. I spend too much time on here and my house shows it! Oh well the dirt will still be there when I get around to it! No cleaning fairies here.

Me either - My excuse for not cleaning is that the vacuum scares my grey babies

happymrs 10-09-2011 06:56 AM

This makes perfect sense to me, nice to see it in writing! I have more online friends now, as we don't live in town & neighbors are far apart out here in the woods, lol. All my old friends & relatives are still in CA, but I love it here, & hope to stay put forever! I have been realizing I need for more girlfriend company, as hubby is retired now, & thinks his company should be enough! Hmm, lol, I don't think so!!!! Life is good though & glad to have him to share it with, I just want more woman company too! Love this board, it sure helps, doesn't it!...Oh, & forget housework, I do it when it bothers me, lol...

alikat110 10-09-2011 07:20 AM

yeah!!! a great reason to provide to my husband next time he says something to me about my time on the board!!!1

dar627742 10-09-2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
They Teach It at Stanford

In an evening class at Stanford the last lecture was on the mind-body connection - the relationship between stress and disease. The speaker (head of psychiatry at Stanford) said, among other things, that one of the best things that a man could do for his health is to be married to a woman whereas for a woman, one of the best things she could do for her health was to nurture her relationships with her girlfriends. At first everyone laughed, but he was serious.
Women connect with each other differently and provide support systems that help each other to deal with stress and difficult life experiences. Physically this quality “girlfriend time" helps us to create more serotonin - a neurotransmitter that helps combat depression and can create a general feeling of well-being. Women share feelings whereas men often form relationships around activities. They rarely sit down with a buddy and talk about how they feel about certain things or how their personal lives are going. Jobs? Yes. Sports? Yes. Cars? Yes. Fishing, hunting, golf? Yes. But their feelings? Rarely.
Women do it all of the time. We share from our souls with our sisters/mothers, and evidently that is very GOOD for our health. He said that spending time with a friend is just as important to our general health as jogging or working out at a gym.
There's a tendency to think that when we are "exercising" we are doing something good for our bodies, but when we are hanging out with friends, we are wasting our time and should be more productively engaged—not true. In fact, he said that failure to create and maintain quality personal relationships with other humans is as dangerous to our physical health as smoking!
So every time you hang out to schmooze with a gal pal, just pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for doing something good for your health! We are indeed very, very lucky. Sooooo let's toast to our friendship with our girlfriends. Evidently it's very good for our health.

Since I am on the QB all the time - I am going to be very healthy

DITTO!!!!
dar :thumbup: :thumbup:

SharonTheriault 10-09-2011 08:19 AM

I love it! This is the place to be. You don't have to live in the country, far away from others to enjoy this board. I live in the city and find more acceptance here than anywhere else. I would love to meet some in person, but we're all too far away. And I love to get on the chat in the evenings. So much to learn and such nice people to learn from.

just_the_scraps_m'am 10-09-2011 08:34 AM

i get more laughs on here than anywhere...