Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will this design work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-design-work-t211584.html)

Barbara T 01-21-2013 07:58 AM

Will this design work?

1 Attachment(s)
Can you advise me if this design will work?
I want it in blues and creams. The centre is light blue moving out to medium, then some areas of light, then medium and dark in the corners. The middle would be a light cream, and slightly darker from midway out.
I wanted a graduation of colour from the centre out and wanted to use this in a winding ways pattern, but..... does it work? Or am I missing the point of this block.
I would be very grateful for your opinions and please excuse my rough drawing.
Thanks for your help.:)

TanyaL 01-21-2013 08:08 AM

I think that as long as your blues are in the same family it will be beautiful. I love quilts with this color scheme of graduated coloration. Are you planning on using teals, etc. in your blues? Personally I would rather see it in the blue family as you stated, than to become a controlled scrappy in blue/blue-green/blue-something else, etc. I think this will be elegant!

Barbara T 01-21-2013 08:15 AM

Yes, they will be pure blues. I was planning on using Northcott's Stonehenge fabrics. It is for my son's room and he also likes their organic look. Although I like scrappy, I was planning on making this more controlled. That is what's bothering me, should winding ways looked this well ordered?

memepat 01-21-2013 08:17 AM

Beautiful. I think it will work fine. In the center rather than cream you may want a really pale blue. I have seen a white with streaks of very pale blue, that may work so you keep your blue theme.

eparys 01-21-2013 08:18 AM

I like the gradation idea and the pattern The point of quilting is to make it your own. This is what I would call an out of the box interpretation and you should go for it. Did you try reversing the gradations as well? My eye is actually drawn to the corners first and then to the center. Was that what you were going for?

AngelinaMaria 01-21-2013 08:30 AM

Gosh, I am impressed with your drawing. How did you draw that out so precisely? I am pulling out my graph paper more and more as I get ideas for a block and enjoy drawing them out. It is very helpful to see them layed out and to help figure out measurements of each piece. I have EQ7 but find my graph paper more useful.

QuiltnNan 01-21-2013 08:34 AM

i think your design will work just fine. i can't help but share that it speaks to me as being drawn 'into the light'

Barbara T 01-21-2013 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5802320)
i think your design will work just fine. i can't help but share that it speaks to me as being drawn 'into the light'

Thank you Nancy. Would you mind if I call it "Into the light"? I love that idea.

QuiltnNan 01-21-2013 09:16 AM

i don't mind at all... thanks for liking my idea.

alikat110 01-21-2013 09:21 AM

I love this. Can't wait tk see your fabric interprtation.