Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will I ever get better at matching seams? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-i-ever-get-better-matching-seams-t210570.html)

Mariah 01-11-2013 09:45 AM

It takes a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time to get good at everything about quilting. Do you have a guild in your area? That helped me more than anything except the qb. Guild is a big help because you can talk with other members who maybe are suffering the same problems as you. Maybe find one who is further along, and she will help you.
One thing I learned on the board that helped me on matching seams was this; lightly bast the seams together before sewing. Then the drops of school glue came along, and haven't had a chance to try it. Looks like a workable alternative to me. Good luck!
Mariah

pinkyrue01 01-12-2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mariah (Post 5778561)
It takes a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time to get good at everything about quilting. Do you have a guild in your area? That helped me more than anything except the qb. Guild is a big help because you can talk with other members who maybe are suffering the same problems as you. Maybe find one who is further along, and she will help you.
One thing I learned on the board that helped me on matching seams was this; lightly bast the seams together before sewing. Then the drops of school glue came along, and haven't had a chance to try it. Looks like a workable alternative to me. Good luck!
Mariah

There are several guilds in the surrounding area, but they are all at least 40 miles away. I wish I knew of one in my small town. I've just been reading a lot and watching videos. I'll keep trying and just learn to accept my mistakes as part of the learning process. :)

Spudgm 01-12-2013 12:26 PM

Here is a video that shows how to nest your seams. Nesting Seams

MissSongbird 01-12-2013 01:48 PM

It does get better over time in my opinion. Being a still relatively new quilter (even though it's has been 5 years) I have seen it get better for me over the years. Because, ultimately, you get better at cutting, get better at having correct seam allowances, and then you have an easier time matching up the seams. It's just something you practice with each quilt you make and the next thing you know everything looks much better!

Michellesews 01-12-2013 04:03 PM

Accurate cutting is a must. Accurate seam allowance a must. Opposing seams pressed a must. For me, using a stiletto (Brass for me) is a must. And practice does help a lot...don't give up!

SittingPretty 01-12-2013 05:04 PM

The glue does work, but another trick is to watch which side is "longer" and put that on the bottom. The feed dogs work to help even it all up. Sometimes it could mean switching sides from intersection to intersection, but it you do it when first sewing 2 blocks together, it could go a long way in making the seams more even. Clear as mud?

captlynhall 01-13-2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by pinkyrue01 (Post 5774427)
Hi everyone! I'm a beginner but I've been trying to quilt for the last 6 months. Will I ever get better at matching seams? I watch a lot of tutorials and they just speed on through rows and everything looks great. Even if I go super slow my seams don't ever seem to match. Is this just something I'll get with practice?

On my first quilt, the seams did not match up very good. Then, I took a beginners quilt class, and the hands on experience made all the difference. Now my seams line up very well. Maybe not perfect all the time, but the difference is obvious. So I would suggest, if you can, to take a class. By the way, the tutorials are great and I have learned so much from them, but nothing quite matches up to a good teacher in a class room environment.

umademesew 01-24-2013 07:07 AM

I feel your pain! This is why I choose a lot of scrappy type patterns.:) I had a lot of problems with matching seams, too. You have received great advise. A couple of things that have helped me is to stitch at the seams. That's right. Don't take on the long seam, first stitch at every seam intersection. Then, you can sew the long seam. The other thing that helped me was to make sure my fabric is going in opposite directions. By this I mean that if your top fabric seam is facing towards your machine, the bottom fabric seam is facing away from it. This helps to match the seams. Several of the top quilters taught me to do it this way.
Good luck with your future quilts. I look forward to seeing what you do.

bunniequilter 01-24-2013 07:13 AM

practice and patience, and did I mention practice?