Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will poly thread eventually cut cotton cloth when used in piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-poly-thread-eventually-cut-cotton-cloth-when-used-piecing-t189700.html)

SueSew 05-22-2012 09:05 AM

Will poly thread eventually cut cotton cloth when used in piecing?

Will poly thread eventually cut cotton cloth when used in piecing? Or is this a fable?

What is the professional standard for thread choice? What are best practices? (Yes, I know I can do whatever I want, but I want to make the best choice for heirloom work)

Logically, it seems to me that if poly eventually cuts into cotton when used for piecing, the same thing will happen when used for machine quilting! In machine quilting there is a lot more stress on the thread because it is pulling together two layers of fabric and the batting, whereas in piecing it's sitting nicely in a fold and pressed together by the machine quilting.

Thank you

Prism99 05-22-2012 09:09 AM

No. At least not with most commonly available threads today. Check out the thread tutorials at Superior Threads online. They have some videos on Youtube also. In one of them, they demonstrate how easily poly thread breaks.

There may have been a problem using polyester thread with cotton in the past, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a problem these days.

Holice 05-22-2012 09:13 AM

It is a fable

GrannieAnnie 05-22-2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 5235009)
Will poly thread eventually cut cotton cloth when used in piecing? Or is this a fable?

What is the professional standard for thread choice? What are best practices? (Yes, I know I can do whatever I want, but I want to make the best choice for heirloom work)

Logically, it seems to me that if poly eventually cuts into cotton when used for piecing, the same thing will happen when used for machine quilting! In machine quilting there is a lot more stress on the thread because it is pulling together two layers of fabric and the batting, whereas in piecing it's sitting nicely in a fold and pressed together by the machine quilting.

Thank you

I've used poly blends for ages and never noticed any trouble. Sounds like a quilt police story!

BellaBoo 05-22-2012 10:06 AM

Poly got a bad rap when it was first sold to sewers as it was too strong for the weaker fabrics many were using for quilts then. The poly thread made now is thinner and made for the newer machines.

Annie68 05-22-2012 10:51 AM

It's a myth. I have quilts made in 1981 with poly thread, pieced and quilted, they've been washed and used a great deal. Not a thread broken or cut into any fabric.

ritamaew 05-22-2012 10:52 AM

Nylon will cut the fabric but not poly. See superiorthreads.com website.
Rita

bearisgray 05-22-2012 10:55 AM

I've used the 'older' cotton covered polyester thread by Coats & Clark for years. The quilts that I made from them - that have had hard use and many washings - show no stress whatsoever at the seam lines.

spokanequilter 05-22-2012 11:27 AM

I was always taught to match the thread to the fabric - that is, if you're sewing on cotton fabric, use cotton thread, or polyester on polyester. But I've used polyester thread when piecing with cotton fabric, and I've never had a problem. The quilts seem to hold up fine. I do, however, have problems when I have different threads in the needle and the bobbin. My machine doesn't seem to like that at all...

almond 05-22-2012 03:41 PM

I use only poly thread for all sewing, quilting & embroidery projects. I use to use cotton, but it made such a mess of lint in the machine. I love using poly!!!!