Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will Work for Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-work-fabric-t88883.html)

quiltgrammyt2 01-11-2011 02:47 AM

I say go for it!!!
When I did this for a short time it was fun,you'll get to meet alot of other quilters and share ideas and see their projects (just like being on the Board).
If I would have been paid in $ it would have been $8 an hour plus I got a % off of the fabric or anything else in the shop. :D :thumbup: :D

mrsddh97 01-11-2011 05:58 AM

Do what you love and you never have to work another day in your life. Congrats.

dellareya 01-11-2011 11:42 AM

Even though I recently retired from teaching I was asked to come back and substitute. I said of course. I wore my button that said
"I work for fabric".

Anne T 01-11-2011 01:24 PM

Great job as long as you don't need the money.

roguequilter 01-11-2011 02:56 PM

i worked for joannes for a few years. minimum wage...no bennies...part time only unless management....and they are always hiring...and you are always working with inexperienced coworkers.... i miss it...but not joannes lollollol...i really would like to work in another fab shop though...great to work with customers...get ideas...help with projects...just great fun...in fact too much fun to call it 'work' lollollol

Bubblegum0077 01-11-2011 03:05 PM

What a great opportunity for you. Have fun and good luck.

butterflies5518 01-11-2011 07:43 PM

would love a job like that - but would be eating crackers I would be so in debt!

QKO 01-12-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
There are ways around all the red tape - such as your NOT working, your simply helping out a friend. Since when does the government need to stick it's nose into friendly bartering? They steal enough money from us as it is and then turn around and blow it right out the window - paying to study the mating habits of the common brown dog tick for one.

I agree with you completely, in principle. But explaining that to the IRS might be a little more difficult...

cheryl rearick 01-12-2011 12:48 PM

I am almost jealous, :) so very happy for you. My sister in law back home does the same thing in WA. state. Has a lady work for fabric and she can sit and sew. It has been a great working arrangement for the two of them.. I think it is 1-2 days a week. Have so much fun in the candy store, Blessings Cheryl :)

cheryl rearick 01-12-2011 12:55 PM

I wonder if the IRS would even have to be involve from a legal sense. For one thing the fabric has already been account for, paid and stor owner pays taxes on it. A store owner is also allowed to use so much of the materials to put on display (as in quilts) and use as a write off. Seems I asked my sister in law that question. So to work for material, that is already taxed? (I would think would not be a problem for the store owner) Plus if someone is injured in a shop, shop should hae coverage in that area??? ( I really do not know) second guessing,