Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Window Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/window-quilts-t36688.html)

tkhooper 02-12-2010 05:41 AM

I saw an article about these in DIY. I think I would like these in my bedroom. But I didn't really understand the article. Could someone do a lesson on them? Not video, my computer can't seem to handle those but maybe with pictures.

I'm probably asking to much. But if you know of anything I'd appreciate any information.

quazyquilter 02-12-2010 05:56 AM

I did a demo of these at an energy fair, which promted the sewing workshops that I now do twice a month. Basically, picture a narrow board on the top of the window casing, with 2 strips hanging down around a rolled up piece of quilted fabric. On the ends of these strips are pieces of velcro. when rolled up, these strips hold the fabric. when fabric is rolled own, you can use 2 strips of wood (sorta like strapping) with spring loaded hinges to hold the window quilt tight agaist the wall. Also, if you make a narrow pocket at the bottm, you slide a thin piece of wood in there to help weight it own. If you have any questions , PM me, as I am leaving for work.

butterflywing 02-12-2010 01:34 PM

sorry

butterflywing 02-12-2010 01:39 PM

i don't know exactly which kind you mean, but k3n made window quilts to keep the cold out of her freezing cold french farmhouse. i can't find the post, but if you pm her, she probably can help you out. she has pictures on the post.

also i looked up: "window quilts how to make"

and came up with a huge list.

Oklahoma Suzie 02-12-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by quazyquilter
I did a demo of these at an energy fair, which promted the sewing workshops that I now do twice a month. Basically, picture a narrow board on the top of the window casing, with 2 strips hanging down around a rolled up piece of quilted fabric. On the ends of these strips are pieces of velcro. when rolled up, these strips hold the fabric. when fabric is rolled own, you can use 2 strips of wood (sorta like strapping) with spring loaded hinges to hold the window quilt tight agaist the wall. Also, if you make a narrow pocket at the bottm, you slide a thin piece of wood in there to help weight it own. If you have any questions , PM me, as I am leaving for work.

would love to see some pics

beachlady 02-12-2010 05:49 PM

I would love to make some for the sliders in my kitchen - Have them on two different walls in the kitchen and the drapes I bought for winter only are ugly!!!

mpspeedy 02-12-2010 06:22 PM

I would imagine that they are just decorative insulated window coverings similar to roman blinds only made of quilted material. It sounds like a good way to have more room to display your quilting art and be useful in saving energy.

tkhooper 02-13-2010 05:22 AM

Thanks for the tips. I am awful at googling. I think I need to look up how to do roman blinds next. But I feel I am getting closer.