Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wonder Under (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wonder-under-t1225.html)

Db112527 06-07-2007 06:37 PM

We have made a quilt with fusable web as seen on PBS Quiling Art, Need HELP!! Will this thing quit rattleing when it is washed ? Will the paper go away?? We've already made it we're waiting for a BD so please AASAP!!!! You can email at [email protected] if you like. Thanks!!!

SandraJennings 06-07-2007 11:55 PM

Fusible web is one of those blessings with a curse as I see it....but it can be very helpful. Depending on the weight of fusible used will determine how quickly it "softens". I have a table runner I use that still is a little stiff where I used the fusible,even after many washings. If there is any other way to soften it....I haven't found it yet. I have learned that if I use it again...( the fusible)it will only be enough to outline the piece I want appliqued. Soft comfy cold water washing will help. Good luck.

Extreme Quilter 06-08-2007 04:17 AM

You may want to try Steam-A-Seam 2 Light, which is a fusible that softens after washings.

vicki reno 06-08-2007 06:22 AM

I found a product calld fine fuse. It is much lighter than wonder under, but has no paper back to peel off, so a teflon pressing sheet is necessary. It hold pretty good. I use it knowing that top stitching is necessary because it may not hold once you wash it. It costs about the same as the other stuff but is much much softer.

Carla P 06-08-2007 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Db112527
We have made a quilt with fusable web as seen on PBS Quiling Art, Need HELP!! Will this thing quit rattleing when it is washed ? Will the paper go away?? We've already made it we're waiting for a BD so please AASAP!!!! You can email at [email protected] if you like. Thanks!!!

Did you leave the paper on when you appliqued? If so, have you layered & quilted it yet?

Db112527 06-11-2007 10:11 AM

:) Thanks sooooo much!! I believe I will just outline the applique Next time but after I posted I went and read that DO not use fabric softner and so I said aha!! I washed it twice and poured the fs to it and it"s not so stiff and no more as I say like a Texas Rattlesnake.Believe me that's what it sounded like and was really hard to quilt!! BJR

susan s. 06-12-2007 05:35 AM

There are so many new products our there I'm totally unfamiliar with but, I would think that unless the product states the paper is dissolvable you would remove the paper backing at some PT. before layering at least. ROFLMAO

Db112527 06-15-2007 07:01 PM

:-o Yes WE did leave the Paper in BECAUSE NO ONE TOLD US NOT TO THE JUST SAID TO FUSE IT ONTO THE FABRIC!!!! WELL I WASHED IT 2 TIMES AND USED FABRIC SOFTENER AND IT SOFTED AND WE THEN CUT WHAT FELL OPEN CAUSE YES WE QUILTED IT TOO AND IT WAS LIKE DEALING WITH A TEXAS RATTLESNAKE YA JUST WANT TO AND HAD BETTER LEAVE, NOW WE HAVE REQUILTED HALF OF IT AND WILL DO THE OTHER HALF THIS WEEKEND!! Soooooo Just incase NO ONE TOLD YOU PLEASSSSSE Take OFF THAT PAPER!! A Lesson well learned,believe you me!!! Thanks all!!! BJR :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

isnthatodd 06-15-2007 07:13 PM

I think we all have a lesson we learned the hard way. Thanks to you, maybe someone else won't have to learn this one. Good luck on finishing, and don't forget to post a picture. :-)

patricej 06-16-2007 03:12 AM

i must confess ... i'm confused.

the fusible products are used to "glue" the applique pieces to each other and/or the background. the first step fuses the fusible to the back of the fabrics being used to make the applique pieces. if you don't take the second step of peeling away the paper on the back, it won't stick to the background/other pieces after you've cut them out.

how did you get the applique pieces to stick to the background before you quilted it?