Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wonder under (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wonder-under-t16608.html)

Sharon M 02-22-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
I use Wonder Under all the time, on t-shirts, on applique, on patches for clothes, anything and everything. It's wonderful stuff and no gummy mess! Woohoo!

Sharon

Sharon, my husband has been after me to use his old car show T shirts and make a quilt out of them. I have seen some of them done and don't like whatever has been used under the T shirts it seems to make them stiff. Is wonder under the answer? :D

Cat18 07-29-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MsSage
The instructions say to fuse it to one piece then peel paper then fuse onto another piece of fabric. So is it easy to machine stitch over?

Does the Wonder Under need to be removed after applique?

Scissor Queen 07-29-2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon M

Originally Posted by mimisharon
I use Wonder Under all the time, on t-shirts, on applique, on patches for clothes, anything and everything. It's wonderful stuff and no gummy mess! Woohoo!

Sharon

Sharon, my husband has been after me to use his old car show T shirts and make a quilt out of them. I have seen some of them done and don't like whatever has been used under the T shirts it seems to make them stiff. Is wonder under the answer? :D

I would use Fusi-knit for t-shirts. Make sure you put the stretch of the fusi-knit the opposite way of the t-shirt stretch.

For every thing else I use Wonder Under. An important tip I found out about Wonder Under is do not roll it up into a tube!! Keep it folded like it comes off the bolt. Rolling it up into a tube makes it separate eventually.

gale 07-29-2010 01:11 PM

So wonder under isn't stiff like heat n bond? I want something I can use to cut fabric in the cricut. Most people use something really stiff like heat n bond and that's not what I want. I want something not stiff.

mimisharon 07-29-2010 01:25 PM

Wonder Under is not stiff, it is not gummy on the needles when you sew, and it has never peeled like Heat n Bond or Steam a Seam on me. I found heat n bond would gum up my needles.

Wonder Under is bondable on both sides. I've drawn letters for applique, everything and sundrey. I enjoy using it and don't find it to be so stiff on anything I've used it on.

Enjoy!

ghostrider 07-29-2010 01:40 PM

There are three types of Wonder Under, so be careful of broad sweeping statements since some folks are not aware of the differences. :) 805 is regular, with a paper backing; 807 has no paper backing; and 725 is heavy duty (double the adhesive of 805), with a paper backing

mlaceruby 07-29-2010 01:52 PM

yes always get the 805!
ask me how I know!
and I use it for my appliques that I make fusible with my accucut

mimisharon 07-29-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
There are three types of Wonder Under, so be careful of broad sweeping statements since some folks are not aware of the differences. :) 805 is regular, with a paper backing; 807 has no paper backing; and 725 is heavy duty (double the adhesive of 805), with a paper backing

Thank you for pointing out my error. YES, there are three types but since I was talking about the paper backed I felt sure anyone would look for the paper backed first.

My humble apologies for any confusion I may have caused!

Debra Mc 07-29-2010 07:59 PM

Heat Bond lite can be sewed thru. Ultra Bond cannot. It gunks up needle.

Cat18 07-29-2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
An important tip I found out about Wonder Under is do not roll it up into a tube!! Keep it folded like it comes off the bolt. Rolling it up into a tube makes it separate eventually.

Thanks for the tip. I just bought some Wonder Under and didn't use it all -- of course, I rolled it up! Now I will be unrolling it.