Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worst-mistake-you-ever-made%7Bquilting%7D-t104667.html)

livenlearn124 03-03-2011 12:20 PM

kwhite=you are a nut! =)

Originally Posted by kwhite
I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!

Kas 03-03-2011 12:56 PM

I cut the back of my quilt while snipping threads to remove it from the sewing machine. I had to put the label in a creative spot!

CoriAmD 03-03-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!

ok, that sure got a laugh out of me! :)

charmpacksplus 03-03-2011 01:08 PM

Worst mistake I've made.... so far....

I was making log cabin blocks (needed 49 blocks) and set the project aside for a couple of weeks after making about half of them. When I started back up I used some 1.5 inch strips instead of the 2 inch I started with. Noticed this mistake after all the blocks were finished. Not good! I guess I could use them to make two separate smaller quilts.

irishrose 03-03-2011 01:29 PM

I didn't figure out it takes more blocks to set on point than in rows. I was finished with the blocks and had no more fabric when I found out. My daughter's quilt is special because it has a big star in the center. She doesn't need to know it's because her mother wasn't too bright that day.

Buying fabric from ebay unless the manufacturer is mentioned. No more of that.

kat112000 03-03-2011 01:32 PM

Umm, at this point I can say LEARNING TO QUILT!! has been my mistake! LOL!! I have done everything stated above me, except, no way will I sew naked!!

thepolyparrot 03-03-2011 01:36 PM

I've done some of these things - sewing without bobbin thread - and of course I was chain-piecing. Quilting folds of the backing fabric into the quilt - yep, that too.

No quilting in the nude though - I don't need any of my junk to fall onto my sewing area! :shock: :mrgreen:

The worst things I've done both resulted from forgetting to check the back of the quilt - both times, I had briefly worked on another project and changed the bobbin tension and it was way too tight when I put the bobbin back in for my quilts. Both times, I ended up with horrible quilting on the back.

It felt like I spent a week with the darn seam ripper on one of those. The last time I did it, it wasn't so bad, but unsewing is never a feel-good activity. There's just no satisfaction in it at all.

kem77 03-03-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I've done some of these things - sewing without bobbin thread - and of course I was chain-piecing. Quilting folds of the backing fabric into the quilt - yep, that too.

No quilting in the nude though - I don't need any of my junk to fall onto my sewing area! :shock: :mrgreen:

The worst things I've done both resulted from forgetting to check the back of the quilt - both times, I had briefly worked on another project and changed the bobbin tension and it was way too tight when I put the bobbin back in for my quilts. Both times, I ended up with horrible quilting on the back.

It felt like I spent a week with the darn seam ripper on one of those. The last time I did it, it wasn't so bad, but unsewing is never a feel-good activity. There's just no satisfaction in it at all.

Thank you that is really good advise. I would not like to have to unsew.I have a hard enough time getting things done the first time.

kem77 03-03-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by kat112000
Umm, at this point I can say LEARNING TO QUILT!! has been my mistake! LOL!! I have done everything stated above me, except, no way will I sew naked!!

very good.sometimes you never know what trouble you are going to get your heart into.

kem77 03-03-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
I cut the back of my quilt while snipping threads to remove it from the sewing machine. I had to put the label in a creative spot!

Ouch. But good come back with the label.