Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would Appreciate Machine Recommendations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-appreciate-machine-recommendations-t232870.html)

Jeanne S 10-20-2013 05:18 PM

Would Appreciate Machine Recommendations

I am a beginner quilter, having taken one 4 week class at my local quilting store and have made 2 baby quilts. My little Baby Lock Audrey machine worked OK for the baby quilts, but don't think it will handle anything larger. I only quilted by the 'stitch in the ditch' method, but am thinking about learning to free motion. I have looked at the Baby Lock Jane and the Juki TL-1020 machines for larger, simple table top machines with free motion capability. I would sure appreciate any recommendations from you experienced quilters. Thanks very much!

Prism99 10-20-2013 05:57 PM

I'd love to have the Juki. It is great for piecing and for free-motion quilting. Don't know anything about the Baby Lock Jane.

Another machine you might want to check out is the Janome 6600P. Unlike the Juki, which is strictly a straight-stitch machine, the Janome has decorative stitches too. I think the harp space is similar.

kathdavis 10-20-2013 06:24 PM

For quilting, you want to go for the largest harp space you can afford. I really like my Brother Laura Ashley 2000. It has a 9" harp. I know there are others that are a few inches bigger. I would probably recommend going into a sewing machine shop and letting them show you what they have. Play with all of them a while.

alleyoop1 10-21-2013 03:42 AM

Before you buy, if you can possible attend a large quilt show or visit several dealers, it would help you decide. Try out any machine before you buy it. Make sure they have good support and will teach you how to use the machine. Then, as an educated buyer, you can buy the best machine for your needs and your pocketbook.

mighty 10-21-2013 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 6359646)
Before you buy, if you can possible attend a large quilt show or visit several dealers, it would help you decide. Try out any machine before you buy it. Make sure they have good support and will teach you how to use the machine. Then, as an educated buyer, you can buy the best machine for your needs and your pocketbook.

I really agree, you will get the most for your $ and have it many years to come.

EllieGirl 10-21-2013 09:15 AM

I have/had a Brother SE 400 that I used for a few years. I hadn't had a machine for years, and then bought that one on Amazon. It's a combo sewing/embroidery but the embroidery only goes as high as 4" work space. The throat, or harp area is small. So I convinced DH to buy me a Brother Dreamweaver XE, pricey, but it has a huge throat area, and embroidery goes up to about 12"x9". This machine is amazing!!! It's very smooth, very easy to use. Mine is new, since May but from a Dreamweaver forum on Yahoo several people have had it for a couple of years and have never had maintenance issues.

Wintersewer 10-21-2013 12:52 PM

I love my Janome 6600, it has a 8 5/8" bed, and a built in walking foot. If you don't want to spend that much you might consider the 6500 or the 6300. They are very similar, but with fewer features. I find Janome quality excellent. I also have the Janome 7700 which has an 11" bed, and a built in walking foot. I love that too. These machines run from $999 for the 6300 to $1900 for the 7700. I got a good deal on the 7700, some dealer's charge a lot more.

klgls 10-21-2013 01:11 PM

I echo the comments above. I too have the Janome 6600P and love it! I quilt and FMQ on it. I did a twin-size quilt recently and had no problem FMQ it.

QuiltswithConvicts 10-21-2013 01:51 PM

Mine is also a Janome 6600P. I've had her since 2006 & she's been a workhorse. I have quilted a king-size quilt on it.

ManiacQuilter2 10-21-2013 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 6359646)

This is what I did over 10 years ago when I shopped for my Bernina. Don't let anyone push you into buying before you are ready. I find that most of them are just the same as a used car salesman !!! Good Luck and take your time so you find out what the right machine is for YOU !!!