Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would Formica (sp) work for squared "rulers"(DIDN"T WORK OUT) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-formica-sp-work-squared-%22rulers%22-didn%22t-work-out-t12234.html)

Moonpi 10-14-2008 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
[ Ok this guy said he can't remember the name but its not fornica. Here's what he said......"I have some thin hard paneling stuff, don't recall what it is called. It has a slick white surface on one side of it, would that do? If so I will cut some squares out of it for you tomorrow.... WHEN ASKED IF IT"S FORMICA...No, it isn't formica, is thicker than that. I'm sure it will work

I bet it's the coated masonite that makes dandy templates for woodworking, but would probably wreck a rotary blade if you slipped. It is real handy stuff to have around, but would be better used as a top for an extension table.

auntluc 10-14-2008 02:54 PM

Not to mention how it would stain the fabric.

Farmer Girl 10-14-2008 03:34 PM

I agree with auntluc and Moonpi - it's probably what they call "white board" and the backing is made by impregnating sawdust with oil, it is then baked together and then coated with a thin white plastic layer. Would be concerned about stains.

bearisgray 10-14-2008 04:57 PM

Is this material transparent? I kind of like to see what is underneath the ruler while I'm cutting.

ScubaK 10-14-2008 08:53 PM

I agree...
Just wait for some sales and get the normal acrylic rulers...
Cutting and piecing precisely is the key to a beautiful quilt...
Perhaps there are some quilters that would love to "donate" to you their older rulers so they can shop for new...
I personally only have 2 or 3 that I regularly use and bought years ago. Don't need any of the fancy ones...
I think all 3 cost me about 50bucks without a sale.
K

bearisgray 10-14-2008 09:20 PM

ko24 -which rulers do you regularly use?

lovetoquilt 10-15-2008 08:48 AM

I also went to Home Depot and they cut my squares the size I needed. They also had some scrap pieces and he cut one and just gave it to me. It sounds to me like that other store just didn't want to be bothered. Lots of luck.

Bevanger 10-15-2008 08:59 AM

WELL ITS FREE FROM FREECYCLE...... But I pick up the squares today.. I'll post a pic to see what ya'll think first before using them, otherwise, i'll say thank you to him, and do like hubby suggested and buy the actual rulers themselfs. Ken says if the bought rulers are better then its well worth the investment. :D

Bevanger 10-15-2008 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by lovetoquilt
I also went to Home Depot and they cut my squares the size I needed. They also had some scrap pieces and he cut one and just gave it to me. It sounds to me like that other store just didn't want to be bothered. Lots of luck.

I think your right. We don't have a Home Depot here. I'd have to go to next town over to theres..

Bevanger 10-15-2008 10:52 AM

READ UPDATE.... 1st post