Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would Formica (sp) work for squared "rulers"(DIDN"T WORK OUT) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-formica-sp-work-squared-%22rulers%22-didn%22t-work-out-t12234.html)

Bevanger 10-14-2008 01:11 PM

I got an email from a guy on freecycle . Said he can make me some squares... Good with rotary cutter?

UPDATE: The Freecycle....... Turned out to be WOOD paneling. Very splintery. I knew he meant well so I smiled, said thank you to the old gentleman.... And Left
I'm just gonna order them online. Its ok. At least It's a one time purchase.
Thanks everyone for your help....

Izy 10-14-2008 01:15 PM

Bev, acrylic is light but resistant to the rotary cutter, can he not make it out of this, its cheap enough to buy in a sheet?

quiltwoman 10-14-2008 01:15 PM

Bev,
Formica is usually glued to particle board for counter tops--it's usually a very thin, pliable top that comes in several patterns.

I would think if you need a ruler, it would not have enough "lip" on it to successfully guide your ruler. If the plexiglass ones are too expensive, watch for a Joann's 50% off or 40% off coupon and get one then. I did that to get the jumbo Olfa cutting mat.

I also use an old t-square my hubby had--it's metal and used for shop work. It's a great ruler for quilting--very heavy and I also use it to cut wallpaper-- :lol:

HTH,

Bevanger 10-14-2008 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman
Bev,
Formica is usually glued to particle board for counter tops--it's usually a very thin, pliable top that comes in several patterns.

I would think if you need a ruler, it would not have enough "lip" on it to successfully guide your ruler. If the plexiglass ones are too expensive, watch for a Joann's 50% off or 40% off coupon and get one then. I did that to get the jumbo Olfa cutting mat.

I also use an old t-square my hubby had--it's metal and used for shop work. It's a great ruler for quilting--very heavy and I also use it to cut wallpaper-- :lol:

HTH,

I called 4 different places today and yeah I can buy the plexiglass but no one seemed to wanna cut squares for me. They all it it was time consumed and VERY SPENDY..... Hubby just now told me each payday order 1 or 2 online until I have all I needed. He didn't realize they were a 1 time buy.. :D

sspingler 10-14-2008 01:24 PM

:(

Izy 10-14-2008 01:25 PM

Bev, I had a problem finding rulers here in Spain, my DH bought a sheet and we cut it up together, it really isn't that difficult, you just need a good craft knife with a new blade and a straight edge of metal, you score it then snap it down while one of you holds it tight on the edge of a table or work top etc, we managed fine, then just sand the edge down slightly :D

shellyp 10-14-2008 01:27 PM

I wouldnt use formica either. Same reasons.
If you don't want to have to deal with cutting a big piece of plexiglass for them, Home Depot has smaller pieces (11x14) for $2.50 each. You could get a square up to 11" out of it. The cutting tool is less than $4. You could just buy one piece as you need them. A 30x36 is around $15.

Bevanger 10-14-2008 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
Bev, I had a problem finding rulers here in Spain, my DH bought a sheet and we cut it up together, it really isn't that difficult, you just need a good craft knife with a new blade and a straight edge of metal, you score it then snap it down while one of you holds it tight on the edge of a table or work top etc, we managed fine, then just sand the edge down slightly :D

Your lucky. My hubby isn't crafty whats so ever and no tools...... Ok this guy said he can't remember the name but its not fornica. Here's what he said......"I have some thin hard paneling stuff, don't recall what it is called. It has a slick white surface on one side of it, would that do? If so I will cut some squares out of it for you tomorrow.... WHEN ASKED IF IT"S FORMICA...No, it isn't formica, is thicker than that. I'm sure it will work

Izy 10-14-2008 01:34 PM

Ask him to post you a sample, my worry would be if it isn't hard enough, your rotary blade will gouge bits out of it and then it wouldn't cut straight, plus ruin your blade Bev :?

nor'easter 10-14-2008 01:44 PM

Most any store that sells glass will also sell and cut plexiglass. With the right cutter it takes only a few seconds to cut a square, just like glass. Sounds like they just didn't want to be bothered. Talk to someone at a glass replacement place. Plexi comes in different thicknesses and they'll want to know how thick you want it. Use one of your rulers to get the thickness. Formica all by itself is VERY sharp!!