Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would this idea interest you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-idea-interest-you-t144763.html)

TanyaL 08-13-2011 03:28 AM

No, I wouldn't stop for something like that if I were only 20 from a LQS in any direction. That means only 40 minute drive between stores. Does your town have something that makes it worth the stop? A really great place to eat that could have a featured quilt display? An ice cream store with a quilt display? I would stop for something like that but not to play a guessing game and spend time in a town that was essentially only a delay on my shop hop.

loves_2_quilt 08-13-2011 03:36 AM

I like it, good luck.

emerald46 08-13-2011 05:17 AM

Sounds very doable. We love stopping in small towns for any reason. You meet the nicest people! Can you place an ad in the event flyer/website or in newspapers in the area. Sounds like it could be good photo opps even for regular travelers. Good luck! My gosh our Quilt Across Texas includes 90 shops and it is only the Month of September.

Chicca 08-13-2011 05:57 AM

I think your idea is marvelous and I would participate.

seamstome 08-13-2011 06:12 AM

Thanks for the ideas. We have an ongoing antique quilt exhibit at the county historical museum which is about 10 minutes away. They are doing a big quilt raffle. Probably raise 10K.

Yes the barn quilts would stay up for three months. There are about 10 or 15 of them on barns out in the country along the shop hop drive on private property. The instructions for the quilt block would be a great idea,

This year they put small wooden quilts in the windows of the downtown businesses which are in a cluster around an intersection of two busy highways. Problem is you cant park there and get out to get see them with so many semi's driving through so people look and drive by. The committee thought that quilters go around the block to the community parking, would park, get out, dodge the traffic and then walk up and down the four blocks in 95 degree heat. I told them that was not going to happen but it was already in motion before they asked me.

My object was to get them to stop in an easy parking area like my office which is directly on the highway, isnt open on the weekends and has 22 parking spots. There are several spots like that along the highway, like the bowling alley or the Road Ranger.

Glassquilt 08-13-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
Then when you say the catch phrase at ANY or ALL of the local participating restaurants, gas stations, ice cream places, etc, you get a discount or freebie. For example, buy a donut get a free coffee, 50 cents off of an ice cream cone. You could get little discounts at five local businesses and not spend more than an hour in town.

Who picks up the discount or 50cents?
Can the quilter go to several stores and get discounts at each one?
Maybe a one use only ticket.

Stores running on a tight profit margin may not be able to afford the loss of revenue. They'd have to mark-up high enough to allow for it and that might alienate the local people.

Sadiemae 08-13-2011 09:45 AM

It does sound like a lot of fun, but if I am honest I would probably keep driving to a quilt shop.

fidgety 08-13-2011 06:54 PM

sounds like a good idea to me.. heck if I was driving thru a town and saw this I would stop... lol.. Go Figure..