Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-t145986.html)

dolores 08-18-2011 04:15 AM

At my sons baby shower, after they showed the quilt I made for my grandson that is due in Oct. When they were told by my son that I made it,When the shock wore off. A man told me he would invest in my quilting. He told me he would buy my material and stuff and me make the quilts, we would sell them and split the money. I am on a fixed income and can only spend so much on my hobby. I know he is well off, God knows I could use some extra income, If he is willing to buy the materials and help sell them would you take a chance?

mzzzquilts 08-18-2011 04:16 AM

I'd be half way through the first quilt by now! DO IT! :)

mizkyp 08-18-2011 04:18 AM

Start slowly and see how it goes. Give him a couple first to see how they sell. I say GO FOR IT!! and good luck.

donnajean 08-18-2011 04:19 AM

I would start with something small as having to give up 1/2 the profit is pretty high when it is hard to make a profit on quilts to begin with. Make sure you keep track of your time put in & set up an hourly rate that you both agree on.

DebsShelties 08-18-2011 04:20 AM

Get every detail in writing

hobbykat1955 08-18-2011 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
Start slowly and see how it goes. Give him a couple first to see how they sell. I say GO FOR IT!! and good luck.

ditto

merry 08-18-2011 04:44 AM

Sounds like a good deal to me, but recommend following all advice posted.

JulieR 08-18-2011 04:49 AM

I like the idea - you invest your time but aren't out any money, and have an opportunity to do something you love and make money doing it.

Do you know this person? Whether you do or don't, a business contract is essential. It should include things like, what types of products you plan to sell, how many units per month are you expected to provide, what quality of materials is he expected to purchase, what costs will be deducted from earnings before profits and payments are determined... You get the idea.

The concern would be if he doesn't think you're working fast enough; if he has invested in materials that are now in your possession he could exert a lot of pressure on you. Perhaps it would be better for him to commission quilts from you and then sell them on his own?

Just thinking out loud. It's an amazing opportunity, just be sure to protect yourself while grabbing it with both hands. :)

nycbgirl 08-18-2011 04:55 AM

All of the advice given is excellent! Especially if you are on a fixed income. You get to do something you love AND get paid!

jbud2 08-18-2011 04:55 AM

But if he expected a quilt every time from you like the one you made for the baby (your avatar), would that wear you out? I don't know what other quilts you have done but this baby quilt is magnificent! I couldn't do that!!