Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   X-rated meandering...Good Grief! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/x-rated-meandering-good-grief-t208394.html)

tjk829 12-13-2012 08:00 PM

X-rated meandering...Good Grief!

So I had made a small lap quilt for my mother for Xmas and I thought this might be a good piece to try quilting myself. I did SID around the blocks and then decided to meander around the border. How hard can it be? I've watched friends do it lots of times. I thought it was going pretty well until my daughter ( she's 21) pointed out that some of the meandering looked like anatomically correct male parts! OMG! I am currently tearing it out and tomorrow taking it to an experienced friend to finish (very kind of her) I need to think of an excuse... honestly meandering looked so easy. I believe I will start to practice on paper! Blushing....

Pilgrim 12-13-2012 08:11 PM

I have held up many a quilts at our guild for show and tell and for speakers. I have seen some of those designs. I suppose one can see many things in meandering but I sure wouldn't worry about it. Add some more stitches.

Charming 12-13-2012 08:13 PM

Rofl.....hahahahaha....lolollol thanks for the good laugh. It is actually hard only the first couple of times after I practiced now I feel I am an expert stippler/meander-ler (I made my own words) whatever but you will be fine believe me and those kids see things we don't so we need them always by our sides...
Good luck

francie yuhas 12-13-2012 08:47 PM

Don't unsew that baby...just sew some stitches over those spots the other direction. The quilt police don't really care if your seams cross over each other: that' s what I heard them while the judging went on. Y ou may a have a new,unique and wonderful design. Tell the daughter to go scrub the floors.

Teddybear Lady 12-13-2012 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by tjk829 (Post 5718965)
So I had made a small lap quilt for my mother for Xmas and I thought this might be a good piece to try quilting myself. I did SID around the blocks and then decided to meander around the border. How hard can it be? I've watched friends do it lots of times. I thought it was going pretty well until my daughter ( she's 21) pointed out that some of the meandering looked like anatomically correct male parts! OMG! I am currently tearing it out and tomorrow taking it to an experienced friend to finish (very kind of her) I need to think of an excuse... honestly meandering looked so easy. I believe I will start to practice on paper! Blushing....

Oh my! Now I have something else to worry about when trying to do Free Motion Quilting...don't make body parts! haha

DOTTYMO 12-13-2012 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady (Post 5719155)
Oh my! Now I have something else to worry about when trying to do Free Motion Quilting...don't make body parts! haha

Have you thought that your mother may had had a good laugh if she saw them. I went with a friend who is very good at free motion. I was doing straight lines show was meandering, room was a very quiet buzz of machine, when suddenly the room was shattered by her shouting " I did a duck" . This was a quilt for a soldier.

hopetoquilt 12-14-2012 03:04 AM

I got a stencil that is meandering and will practice from that.

NanaCindyLou 12-14-2012 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady (Post 5719155)

I'm sure I will think of this all day and just laugh! I haven't even tried FMQ yet....don't make body parts...LOL

tjk829 12-14-2012 05:53 AM

My mother would have it hilarious AND pointed it out to every person that ever saw the quilt. My big mouth daughter told my sister " Hey Aunt Terry, guess what Mom put n Grandma's quilt" I understand why some species eat their young! I am never going to live this down....never.

dunster 12-14-2012 06:42 AM

Sounds to me like it's all in your daughter's mind, LOL. Thanks for the good laugh.