Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yellow Brick Road Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yellow-brick-road-pattern-t105017.html)

PegD 03-04-2011 03:43 PM

When picking fabrics for this pattern, does each fat quarter have to be different, (if it says I need 15, is that 15 different ones, or just 15?)

HummerGardenCrafts 03-04-2011 03:46 PM

Do you have a picture of the quilt?
I'm assuming it means 15 different fat quarters or it would of given you yardage instead of fat quarters.

Mariposa 03-04-2011 03:48 PM

All different FQ is best~

Jim's Gem 03-04-2011 03:50 PM

Different is best.

QuiltQtrs 03-04-2011 03:53 PM

Different is probably best, but go for what you have initially. You can
always strictly follow pattern suggestions on the next one. This
pattern is so easy and guaranteed to be addictive.

pumpkinpatchquilter 03-04-2011 04:50 PM

I have made several Yellow Brick Road quilts and it doesn't matter if you choose fabrics that are all the same or drastically different. That's the fun of this pattern in particular - you can achieve totally different looks just by the fabric you choose. You could choose all purple fabrics with varying intensity, you could choose a rainbow of colors, you could select half blue and half yellow so they mix and match when cut and sewn...the possibilities are endless and this is a great pattern to experiment with.

What's most important I would say is that you like the way they all look together when you group them. Good luck! ;)

PegD 03-04-2011 05:36 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Guess I will go hunting in my stash.

knlsmith 03-04-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
I have made several Yellow Brick Road quilts and it doesn't matter if you choose fabrics that are all the same or drastically different. That's the fun of this pattern in particular - you can achieve totally different looks just by the fabric you choose. You could choose all purple fabrics with varying intensity, you could choose a rainbow of colors, you could select half blue and half yellow so they mix and match when cut and sewn...the possibilities are endless and this is a great pattern to experiment with.

What's most important I would say is that you like the way they all look together when you group them. Good luck! ;)

Exactly. I have made this pattern several times. I like to use an odd number of different colors- whether it's 3 or 5 or 15. I just like odd numbers. :)

Also, they don't have to be fat quarters either. So see what you have in your larger scraps too. It is truly a fun pattern, enjoy it. Don't let the quilt police scare you, we will bail you out! LOL!

Scraps 03-04-2011 06:13 PM

My first Yellow Brick Road I did 15 different fat qrtrs, but the next one I did I used seven 1/2 yds. Your cutting will be a little different, but it works.

LivelyLady 03-04-2011 07:30 PM

Patterns I have used/seen that call for several FQ are for different ones. I can see where that could be confusing because they will say you need 5 red FQ, 6 green FQ, etc and usually don't specify that it's 5 different red, etc.