Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yipee! I'm gettting a quilting frame and I NEED INPUT! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yipee-im-gettting-quilting-frame-i-need-input-t185843.html)

thevintageseamstress 04-12-2012 03:43 PM

Yipee! I'm gettting a quilting frame and I NEED INPUT!

ok... so I am getting a Hinterberg stretch frame and will be using 10 foot poles. From what I read not much set up documentation comes with quilting frames and not much instruction on loading a quilt either. So these are my questions.

I am getting it from sewingmachineplus which I have already established that I like their customer service. I bought my juki 2000qi there. My fm foot broke and before I could barely get the words out of my mouth they had a new one out to me. Plus they work with my finances...

Do I need to buy leaders, make leaders, use zippers? Will I have to buy the handle bars or will it come with the frame. What about a stylis? What patterns do I buy for the groved pattern board that comes with it, any videos out there I should watch? Somebody take me under their wing please before I stroke out...:-O:shock:

Christine- 04-12-2012 03:52 PM

I love it! I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting for the drywall to be finished before I can set it up. It's been in my dining room for almost 2 weeks now. I can hardly stand the waiting.

carolaug 04-12-2012 03:55 PM

I went to purchase one last weekend. My 7700 was too large. Then I found a Grace frame...found out today that they sold it. ; ( both were wonderful prices...still on the hunt.

Peckish 04-12-2012 04:05 PM

You can find a plethora of how-to videos on YouTube. Just do a search for "how to load a quilt on a frame" or whatever you want to learn. As far as zippers vs red snappers, that's a personal choice of preference, it depends on how much $ you want to spend (zippers are far cheaper) and how much you want to unsew (zippers are basted onto the quilt, so you'd have to rip when you are done, although there are techniques to get them undone fast). Go to YouTube and search for "man quilter", he has some pretty good videos, including how to load a quilt using red snappers or leadergrips. I also learned a lot from the "pajama quilter", but I had DVDs, I don't know if you can watch them online. I'm sure others will have good recommendations, too.

QuiltnNan 04-12-2012 04:06 PM

I got this same frame. It comes with a great notebook showing the parts and how to assemble. It also has a section in the back on the leaders. It is a great frame and they are a great company.

Congrats and have fun with it :thumbup:

leatheflea 04-12-2012 04:34 PM

I've just put my first quilt on this frame. Mine came with a video on how to put it together. If you don't get one let me know I'll be more than happy to share mine with you. I use red snappers to attach my quilt. Yes you will need to buy leaders. I made my own out of canvas. Using my 40% of at Joanns it only cost me $25. Youtube has several videos on making your own. Flat boards come with the frame no groovy boards, and no pointer. It also doesn't come with handles they are sold separte. You might want to check to make sure your frame that you order didn't come with these before ordering them. Some websites offer package deals. I purchased mine directly from Hinterberg. If you join the Hinterberg yahoo group they are very helpful. Should you have any question feel free to PM me. Good luck and have fun!