Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You all have read this picture book.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-all-have-read-picture-book-t15547.html)

barnbum 01-18-2009 03:03 PM

The Quiltmaker's Gift and it's partner title? Right? I was just reading about how many many of us give away our creations--and thought of this story. It's beautiful. I collect picture books about quilting... but this one is my favorite of them all.

Janstar 01-18-2009 03:11 PM

I'll look for it Karla, thanks. How are you holding up with all the sub-zero weather and your minis? I think about all the work you have to do when I hear the weather report.

barnbum 01-18-2009 03:22 PM

Aww--thanks for thinking of me Janstar. :D Today felt so warm--28*!! I still had to top of water at noon, and it was windy, but much more pleasant out. The winds filled in the horse path yet again... so Mark and I had fun digging it out yesterday using a metal shovel first to break it up--then the snow shovel--all but Jazz's side from a gate to his run-in. Then the back was all filled in again this morning. :roll: :? It's crazy--but we can't put snow fence up because it'd be in the farmer's driveway and I don't dare put any in the middle of the pasture for fear the horses would hurt themselves on it. It was fluffy this morning, so I cleared most--and hubby finished--and he cleared the way to the other back run-in!!! I was so grateful!!

If we don't keep working at it--we won't get through until spring and I can't do that because my stallion will need to be separated from the mares in a few months--and I'll need three working pastures. Sigh....

Aren't you glad you asked? :lol:

bj 01-18-2009 03:34 PM

That was one of my favorite readalouds when I was still teaching...we discussed the math of quiltmaking and made blocks on grid paper. I bought the book of patterns that goes with the book, but I've not used it yet. I also like Pieces which is a book of poetry with a quilting theme and The Keeping Quilt by Polacco. Together they represented the precision, poetry, and heritage of quilting.

barnbum 01-18-2009 03:42 PM

bj--I've never heard of Pieces!! I'll have to look for it in the library system!! Thanks. I have about 13 picture books about quilting. I've done units with my student before, but not in the past few years. I give them math problems all the time for morning work--I tell them I'm stumped and need their help--or for them to see if they can figure out what I did to solve an issue. :D

Shemjo 01-18-2009 03:54 PM

I used quilting when I taught Geometry all the itme. I put together a set of blocks for Hidden Wells and used the half squares for them to figure out the pattern! It was always fun to watch them move those pieces around and decide which way they went together. It was a real lesson in teamwork!
The kids also wanted to learn how to quilt! And they did squares and [ut stitches in a group quilt during inside recess! :D

barnbum 01-18-2009 04:39 PM

bj--she has another one called Winter Lights.... :D

Sallyjane 01-22-2009 04:30 PM

It is a great book! The book of patterns that goes with it is really good as well.

Margie 01-22-2009 07:07 PM

Barnbum wrote :The Quiltmaker's Gift and it's partner title? Right? I was just reading about how many many of us give away our creations--and thought of this story. It's beautiful. I collect picture books about quilting... but this one is my favorite of them all. rnbum

I LOVE THAT BOOK, I also have the sequel The Quiltmaker's Journey..it tells the story of how the quiltmaker became the quiltmaker. The artwork and stories in these two books is fabulous! I also bought the book of patterns for the quiltmaker's quilts.

Margie :)