Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are You Scrappy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-scrappy-t207332.html)

Sanpot 12-01-2012 05:29 AM

I recently was given the off cuts from a shirting factory (absolutely beautiful soft cottons), as you can imagine all sizes and colours. As far as I could, I cut them into strips, and sorted them into lengths. Also cut various sized squares. Then made log cabin blocks. Then my love of puzzles came into play! Had to cut a few to fit, but the end result was very pleasing.

maviskw 12-01-2012 06:59 AM

I've made many, many scrap quilts. In fact I don't remember ever making a quilt for which I had to buy all the fabric. Friends give me all their scraps, and I mean down to the lint. LOL I,ve made a Freedom Quilt (log cabin with anything around a center piece, square or not) several confetti quilts. (Flip and sew onto foundation strips, then sew the strips together.) Scrappy Trails (Jacobs Ladder, but this one had a background of a single color.)

When I first starting cutting up fabric left from clothing sewing, I made 6 inch squares. The stuff that wasn't square got to be 6 by whatever. Last year I went into this box and started sewing these 6 inch strips into squares. I just picked three or four (or more) strips that would total 6 inches/ Size was my measure, not color or pattern. I sewed these squares into rows like a rail fence, put that on the bias with white corner triangles and a piano key border, (more 6 inch strips, any width). I thought of it as a charity quilt. At the quilt show, that was the quilt that the photographer put into the local paper with a friend admiring "a colorful quilt". Scrappy quilts can be quite stunning.

kateyb 12-01-2012 07:24 AM

I've done both the controlled scrappy and the "brown bag" scrappy. Depends on the idea I have at the time. Right now I am sewing all those odd triangles together that have been left over or cut off of strips, snowballs, etc. I just match up those that are close to the same size, then square them up. This is something I do when I have trouble sleeping or awaken early and don't want to wake the rest of the household up. When I'm done I'll decide what quilt design I'll make.
This year I have been working on depleting my scrap stash. It looks like I'll be doing that next year also.

patchsamkim 12-01-2012 08:25 AM

I love scrappy quilts, but do like something to "pull" the quilt together...whether it is a center square, a sashing, setting squares....I think the eye needs someplace to rest in a scrappy quilt.

JennyLee 12-01-2012 08:47 AM

I cannot wait to do my first scrap quilt. I don't have much of my own stash yet, although it is building quickly. I received a huge bag of flannel scraps from a former quilt shop owner and am having a lot of fun cutting them all into 2.5" squares. No rhyme or reason to them. Most are pretty dark, some are floral, some plaid. I am still deciding on the actual pattern to use for them.

maryb119 12-01-2012 09:44 AM

I am a "controled scrappy" person. I think that if each block is pretty, then the whole quilt will be. Yes, I hid ugly fabrics in my scrappies but they turn out to be not so ugly after all. I am choosy about what piece goes next to this piece but I do use my scraps.

Pat625 12-01-2012 09:50 AM

I love scrappy quilts.., I started precutting my scraps, and it never seems to get done...Like all patterns and mixtures

Zyngawf 12-01-2012 10:40 AM

I am a very scrappy person in life and in quilts. I love them all, but the best are the scrappy. The more scrappier it is the more user friendly it is. The fancier and less scrappy is more likely to be hung up and displayed instead. Presently I am fighting the hoarder in me and using all the little scraps I have in one big crazy quilt. I'm one of those that thinks it can all go together in a quilt even if it really doesn't go together.

busy fingers 12-01-2012 11:14 AM

Scrappies are my favourites. I do not prepare fabric into any size etc- I just trawl through books/mags/internet until I find a pattern that I like then I go through my stash and scrap bins.

I also like to use either black/white as a solid colour (as can be seen in my avatar) and I always put on a border - generally using a tone on tone fabric that pics up some of the colours used in the blocks.

Annaquilts 12-01-2012 11:16 AM

I am a scrap=o-holic. That is all I make I think. I do like controlled scrappies though.