Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-short-arm-quilter-if-so-lets-talk-t196187.html)

AshleyR 08-04-2012 02:36 AM

I can't help you with the Janome, but I was wondering if you were aware of the Sunshine 16? It's a sit down machine, like the Sweet 16, but with a much more affordable price. It's not as fancy either, just a modified industrial. Their website isn't very good either, http://www.sunshine16.com/Sitemap.html and click on the side menu to pull up the different options. Don't skip Page 8 either LOL!
I haven't tried one, personally. This is the one I am saving up for, though!

Originally Posted by blahel (Post 5416260)
This is a great thread! Yesterday I tried out a HQ Sweet 16 sit down machine and boy did I enjoy myself and now I have a dilemma I want one but it is so expensive!!
If I cant have that then I am looking at the Janome 1600P -DBX..i havent tried out the Janome..has anyone used both and can give me honest feedback?
I already have a Bernina Artiste 180E so don't want a machine with fancy stitches.

mshollysd 08-04-2012 11:16 AM

I have been using a Juki 2010 with a mini pinni frame for about a year. It has a nine inch throat and I have loved the stitch regulator that I bought with it. It was fine for my own quilts but I want to LA for others and so I just purchased an 18 inch long arm and will be working with that. The Juki is a great machine to start learning to short arm quilt on a frame.

blahel 08-04-2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR (Post 5416606)
I can't help you with the Janome, but I was wondering if you were aware of the Sunshine 16? It's a sit down machine, like the Sweet 16, but with a much more affordable price. It's not as fancy either, just a modified industrial. Their website isn't very good either, http://www.sunshine16.com/Sitemap.html and click on the side menu to pull up the different options. Don't skip Page 8 either LOL!
I haven't tried one, personally. This is the one I am saving up for, though!

Thankyou AshleyR for replying to my query. It never hurts to look around and keep an open mind so I had a look on the Sunshine site and it certainly does sound good. I wonder if they are available in Australia?..I will have to shop around. I really want to try before I buy anything and one thing in favor of the Sweet 16 is I have tried it and it certainly was fun and easy to use. Have you tried out the Sunshine?
I have also had lots of good reports about the shop I am considering buying it from and also talked with a lady here on the forum that has also bought one from the same shop and she loves hers too and has had no problems. I have also looked on Ebay to see what is out there but as it is such a big purchase I think it will be wise to consider the after sales service etc and factor that in when deciding. Let me know when you buy your sunshine and how you like it!

AshleyR 08-04-2012 03:19 PM

I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I haven't found a dealer. When I emailed the site, they got right back in touch with me about it. I think she is at shows a lot, too. I haven't ever been to a show, so I don't know!
It will be almost 2 years before I have enough for it, so don't wait on me!

Originally Posted by blahel (Post 5417865)
Thankyou AshleyR for replying to my query. It never hurts to look around and keep an open mind so I had a look on the Sunshine site and it certainly does sound good. I wonder if they are available in Australia?..I will have to shop around. I really want to try before I buy anything and one thing in favor of the Sweet 16 is I have tried it and it certainly was fun and easy to use. Have you tried out the Sunshine?
I have also had lots of good reports about the shop I am considering buying it from and also talked with a lady here on the forum that has also bought one from the same shop and she loves hers too and has had no problems. I have also looked on Ebay to see what is out there but as it is such a big purchase I think it will be wise to consider the after sales service etc and factor that in when deciding. Let me know when you buy your sunshine and how you like it!

PghPat 08-09-2012 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ (Post 5408549)
I have a Handiquilter frame that I used with a Juki 98 straight stitch machine and I just sold the machine and kept the frame now I use my Janome 6600 on the rollers and it works great. I do have the handles but the hookups won't fit into my Janome ports. does anyone know if there is a conversion kit I could get?? right now I just hold onto the top of the machine itself and it works and I use my stop start button and auto cut buttons. I couldn't believe when I opened up this thread this morning as I just sold my machine and tried my Janome on the frame.

I have a quilting frame made from Richard's pattern that we downloaded from the Internet. I also use my Janome 6600 on it and it works fine. Like you I just move it by holding the top of the Janome and have no problem. You can see how well it moves if you go to Utube and in the search box enter PghPat1 where I have posted 2 videos (first time ever posting on there). One is my first queen sized quilt....a floral log cabin and the other is of a Jellyroll Race Quilt......no, I didn't race - LOL. I am a new quilter. Maybe next video will be better. I won't be making a lot of quilts but is was less expensive to build this and be able to quilt large quilts than it would have cost me just to send the queen size out to be quilted. We built it so that when I'm not using it, the poles come off and store under the table and I have a sewing table the whole width of my room. Love it.

I'm really enjoying reading this thread since I have so much to learn. I am in PA now for the summer but will be back in FL (where my frame lives) in October. Reading this thread make me anxious to get back to it and try out some of the suggestions I've read on here.

Pat

mcfay 12-06-2012 07:35 PM

Just found this thread. I'm a shortarmer too. My set up is a Gammill 12' table with a Singer, 11" throat space. I do pantos because I can't quilt from the front. I only have an on/off button and a dial that sets the speed. They are both on the back of the machine. I would love to have a stitch regulator but am told they don't make them for my setup.

IowaStitcher 12-07-2012 06:24 AM

Would like to know the link for these quilt frame plans. Have looked for some various quilt frame patterns for some time and all I can find are kits. Thanks.

PghPat 12-07-2012 12:29 PM

http://buildaquiltingframe.weebly.com/ Here is the link to the plans for the frame that we made. Pat

Originally Posted by IowaStitcher (Post 5703826)
Would like to know the link for these quilt frame plans. Have looked for some various quilt frame patterns for some time and all I can find are kits. Thanks.

gail-r 12-08-2012 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i do all of my quilting with a Juki TL98Q set in a desk. I puddle, I'm old and i have bad joints but I keep on quilting. Here is the latest quilt, a king-sized radiant star.

sewplease 12-16-2012 12:13 PM

Gail, that quilt is GORGEOUS! :-)

I am almost a short arm girl! This morning I bought a Little Gracie II frame off of craigslist. Right now it's in several big partly assembled pieces in my living room as I try to figure out where to put it. It was in great shape, used for only 6 quilts as the previous owner now has access to a longarm. I'm not sure what kind of machine I will use but would love to get one of the smaller Baileys. Another option is a 9 inch machine with a stitch regulator - I couldn't do that with the Bailey. What do you think?

Laura

Is it a bad thing that I bought this before I bought a dress for my daughter's wedding in two weeks, lol?!