Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-t84673.html)

Riversong 12-23-2010 05:40 AM

Im that way about Bargello and rag quilts. Do not like them,Bargellos give me motion sickness,and the rag quilts dont move me at all. But I still appreciate everyones creativity and ability.So one can say "good job" even if the project isnt their cup of tea...speaking of,I need a cup ..off I go.

EagarBeez 12-23-2010 05:43 AM

I try to find beauty in many things. Arts and creativity are my tops. I just love the creativity someone shows.
I will never say anything bad about someones quilt. It was made with love and a lot of labor. I find the beauty of it. We are not perfect and each of us has a different eye for color.

CarrieAnne 12-23-2010 05:51 AM

LOL, I know mine arent perfect! I always tell everyone a quilt is made to love! I just try to see what I do like in every one!

Tsanchez 12-23-2010 05:56 AM

My mom always told me the same thing.

Tsanchez 12-23-2010 05:57 AM

Very well said. I agree with what you said.

1rottendog 12-23-2010 06:11 AM

We aren't always going to like what someone else has created. My aunt, who passed away several years ago, made a quilt from blue and orange fabrics. When she was constructing it, I thought her color choices were awful. But when it was finished, it was one of the most beautiful quilts. She even won first place on it at a Grange quilt show. Glad I kept my opinion to myself and could only offer compliments when the quilt was finished.

dkabasketlady 12-23-2010 06:14 AM

My grandmother was the one that always said, "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all"!! I try to go by this unless someone really asks for an honest opinion. We put sooooo much work and effort into making our creations and I admire anyone that takes the time to quilt no matter if it's to my liking or not.

clem55 12-23-2010 06:32 AM

Why would anyone want to tell another they don't like a quilt that they made? That would be so rude!! I believe there is always something nice you can say. If a person is asking for ADVICE or suggestions, that is different. Even then you can be gentle in your response.

kateyb 12-23-2010 06:35 AM

I try to say something positive, especially if it is done. ie. I like the colors, pattern, fabric -something.
Here is what was said about one of my first quits.
My sister, "Why would you make something so ugly." She is very honest in her opinions. I think she didn't like the colors.
My brother, "Wow, what a great looking quilt."
I gave it to someone who lost everything in a fire. All 6 of her kids wanted the quilt. They loved it.
I took one to show and tell that I didn't like. The ladies in the back of the room said it was beautiful.
So who knows.
If a quilt isn't finished and they want constructive advice I'll give some suggestions.
I have a friend that we feed off each other. We have helped each other make better quilts.

suebee 12-23-2010 06:43 AM

I would never say anything negative about someone's quilt. They may think its lovely and who are we to burst their bubble. Some quilters have "IT" and other dont. As long as they are happy...thats what counts. Merry Christmas All.