Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your opinion for the width of a queen-size quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-opinion-width-queen-size-quilt-t34449.html)

Ethel A 01-18-2010 09:12 AM

I've noticed on some pictures shared by our talented ladies and gentlemen that many bed-quilts almost touch the floor (widthwise). I'm working on a quilt, which I thought was queen size (80" x 85" ). Is this not queen-size? It covers the mattress completely on both sides, plus a little more. Should it cover the box-spring, also? I guess it's a matter of personal taste, right? If I have a dust-ruffle over the box spring, then perhaps having the quilt covering just the mattress should be sufficient, right?

Any thoughts? I'm not sure whether to add extra blocks to make the quilt touch closer to the floor (without a dust ruffle); or just leave it the way it is.

kathy 01-18-2010 09:20 AM

I do like the look of those huge quilts that go to the floor but know that I would never make any that big, I have a dust ruffle and my quilts come just past the box springs, looks fine to me.

cande 01-18-2010 09:52 AM

I also have a dust ruffle covering the box spring. Because we have a thick pillowtop mattress, regular sized queens are a little skimpy so I make mine 92"X96" That gives me a 16" drop on the sides and bottom and comes about 2" past the bottom of the mattress.

amma 01-18-2010 10:43 AM

I think it is a personal preference. I love the look of a quilt that goes almost to the floor. But some bedrames are not made to allow that without puckering the quilt on the corners...and in my opinion a shorter quilt and bedruffle look nicer.

Boston1954 01-18-2010 11:16 AM

I like for mine to go down the sides and at least go as far as the box spring. I feel like it looks naked any higher than that.

mpspeedy 01-18-2010 11:33 AM

I usually make mine big enough to cover the mattress down to the boxspring. More than that and they get very heavy and hard to handle.

ladygen 01-18-2010 11:38 AM

I have a little quilt size chart - it says a queen comforter is 88x94 and a bedspread is 102x113. I tend toward the smaller ones, as I prefer having a dust ruffle and shorter (that floor length) quilt. I would probably add a border onto one that 80x85, just for a little more room, but it's not necessary. 80x85 should, by all means, be big enough.

Pats8e8 01-18-2010 12:10 PM

I like mine to cover the mattress and box springs. And have enough left over that if DH turns over, there is still enough to cover me. :) So I make mine about 105 wide and 115 long, to go over the pillows.

quiltmom04 01-18-2010 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ethel A
I've noticed on some pictures shared by our talented ladies and gentlemen that many bed-quilts almost touch the floor (widthwise). I'm working on a quilt, which I thought was queen size (80" x 85" ). Is this not queen-size? It covers the mattress completely on both sides, plus a little more. Should it cover the box-spring, also? I guess it's a matter of personal taste, right? If I have a dust-ruffle over the box spring, then perhaps having the quilt covering just the mattress should be sufficient, right?

Any thoughts? I'm not sure whether to add extra blocks to make the quilt touch closer to the floor (without a dust ruffle); or just leave it the way it is.

I think it depends on whether you are going to use it as a blanket or not. If you will be under it at night (especially if 2 people will be under it), I make it a bit larger so you don't get uncovered in the middle of the night. If it's just for show, I think going a bit farther than the box spring an adding a dust ruffle is a nice look.

Lostn51 01-18-2010 05:15 PM

Something to remember when you are making the quilt to what ever size you want make sure to add for the shrinkage when you wash and dry it.

Dont ask me how I found this out.......... :roll: :lol:

Billy