Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing on fabric to quilt >

Printing on fabric to quilt

Printing on fabric to quilt

Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
I have to buy a new printer. Printing on cloth finished off the old one. Any recs? Thanks so much!
Hi I use a Brother DCP375CW and have had some excellent results using the pre-treated sheet (which do work out expensive for a large project) also using Bubble Jet, which is a longer process but much more economical - good luck with your project
Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM

I found that you can print on treated fabric that you can buy. It can be used on ANY printer so I am told. The brand name is Premium Printable Fabric sheets--The professionals choice. In the pack you get either 5 or 10 sheets of 100% cotton sheets with the instructions 0n how to use it. I have tried it for a label and it works great. The address to order them if you LQS doesn't have them is www.accraft.com.au Each sheet is the A4 size. Look at the website and see if you like it, Dotty. This company has many things you can buy from them including labels for the back of you quilts.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Here is a link below for the entire information for "printing on fabrics". This lady has several episodes focusing on the different aspects of printing on fabric. I think it is well worth our time to read the information so that we take on this project successfully with a better outcome. I myself don't want to put all the time and money into creating a memory quilt and have the photos wash away or fade out after a few washings. I REALLY appreciate all the advice given in this thread. It has really helped me to understand the aspects of this project. I feel more confident that I will be able to do this and create a nice quilt. Have really been amazed at all the info shared in this topic. What a wealth of information in this group! But I did learn even more from the link below so it is worth checking out. I need to buy a new printer to do this project and needed to learn more about the ink so I buy the right printer. I guess some of the printers have the pigment ink for the black ink and something different for the color...thus causing the colors to fade later on...just want to be sure I am not getting that kind of ink. I did buy the pretreated sheets buy may try the bubblejet next time. Thanks for all the info.....http://www.linda-matthews.com/printing-on-fabric-101/
Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM

I use Premium Printable Fabric sheets. You can get either 5 or 10 in a packet and they are real good 100% cotton. You follow the instructions on the back of the packet. The company has many different Labels to choose and also other things that you can use to put into a quilt. the address for them is www.accraft.com.au the sheets are worth the $20 Australian you pay for it. It will be a lot less in the USA. Log on and have a look at the items you can get. I have an Epson Printer and it is great for printing on fabric. Most of our LQS have the printable fabric, check out your LQS and see if they have them too.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

Just to share my own recent experience with printing on fabric for quilting, (and I checked out many for colorfastness, crispness of printing and fabric hand for this project) the very best one I found was EQ Printable's Cotton Lawn. EQ makes several different types and I tried them all. You can get the best deal online from a store called Soft Expressions.

Even though supposedly you can use the printed sheets right away after rinsing off excess ink, I had the best luck letting the printed sheets sit for about 24 hours before rinsing them and taking the plastic backing off. I then ironed the printed sheets with a hot iron and they have maintained their colors perfectly.

The EQ Printables are fairly expensive compared with other brands, but really worth it for a project you want to be the best it can be. (No, I don't work for EQ!)

Dana
Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Is there an address for EQ printables or they in the EQ7 programe? I payed $21Au for 5 sheets . They are 200 thread count.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

I don't have the website address exactly right now but I can get it for you. Google "Soft Expressions" or just in case you can get a better deal somewhere on the internet, Google "EQ Printables" also--you'll get various websites where you can order them. Be sure to get the Cotton Lawn ones--I didn't like the other ones in the series--the Cotton Sateen ones, for example, were too stiff and wrinkly even after washing and ironing. What project are you planning for the printed fabrics?

Just to re-emphasize--don't use June Tailor or Printed Treasures, among others--EQ Printables Cotton Lawn really the best! (Do you think I'm too bossy? As I always tell my daughter: "It's just that I know best!")

Dana
Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 PM

thank you Danade. i will get onto the site after I have read all the email.