Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing on Fabric >

Printing on Fabric

Printing on Fabric

Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 PM

There was a tip posted on this board a while back about ironing freezer paper to quilters muslin when you wanted to print a design on fabric. I was a little unsure about doing it and used the suggestion to put tape on the leading edge in case of stray threads causing a problem, wasn't successful so didn't attempt it again. Bought a pack of 5 A4 sheets of printable fabric used one sheet and thought I might try re-ironing the backing paper to another piece of fabric, I managed to reuse the backing paper twice before it lost to ability to adhere to the fabric. With this success I decided to retry the freezer paper, I cut the paper A4 size then ironed it onto the fabric then cut the fabric to the size of the paper, didn't put any tape on it this time and was successful, again I reused the freezer paper twice more before it also lost the ability to adhere.

The Printable Fabric I used was "Matilda's Own" produced here in Australia, other brands produced overseas may not have the same sort of backing, so may not be re-usable, but probably worth a try.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Google Goddess

I hope we can find the link
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 AM

Did you use anything to make the print permanent? How does it go when you wassh it?
I made a memory quilt for my MIL and used alot of the printable fabric, it would be nice to save some money on the next one.
I likes the Matilda's own fabric sheets, the turned out well.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Administrator

i get far more than 2 uses out of the freezer paper i can get from a grocery store here. (Reynolds brand)

is that the brand you have?

if you can find it, try sheets of repositionable sticker project paper. Avery makes it. not sure if there are other brands out there. fabric sticks to it fabulously and you can use it many times over before it's worn out.

the least expensive - and best quality - products i've found for printing on fabric are made by C Jenkins. they're available from several merchants or direct from the company. the prices at the company website are very competitive with other sources, so i usually buy direct.

http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/

i'm not affiliated. just a fan. :-)
Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by woody
Did you use anything to make the print permanent? How does it go when you wassh it?
I made a memory quilt for my MIL and used alot of the printable fabric, it would be nice to save some money on the next one.
I likes the Matilda's own fabric sheets, the turned out well.
Ooops so many typo's, can't half tell I am ready for bed LOL :oops:
Old 02-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Woody, Was so excited that the process worked that I posted straight away, ironed the fabric as soon as I printed it in the hope that this would set it, but plan was to also wash it with a vinegar solution to further set it. Will keep you posted.

PatriceJ, Thank you for your information, don't know what brand the freezer paper is, freezer paper is not available in our supermarkets, we have to purchase it from craft stores, paid A$1.75 per metre for it, but I think it is Reynolds brand. Since buying by the metre someone on this board did give a link to a company here in Australia that sells a lot of American products, will buy from them when I need to re-stock, will also try to get color catchers as we don't seem to have anything like that either.

When doing applique I also get more than two uses from the freezer paper, but my printer wasn't over friendly when I tried to do it more than twice, the edges did need to be stuck very well and after two prints this seemed to be the area that was compromised, could have cut it back but then would not have been able to fit my design on it.

It's all trial and error, and info from this board. Anything to make the process cheaper.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM

did you pretreat your fabric with bubble jet before printing on your fabric? Bubble is the product used to make your print last and not wash away
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 PM

great info