Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing Photos on Fabric >

Printing Photos on Fabric

Printing Photos on Fabric

Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Default Printing Photos on Fabric

I am making a quilt top for someone that wants to have 4 jpeg photos of his dog included in the top. Can anyone recommend a high quality method for transferring the photos to fabric? Should i use quilters cotton? There is a company at the local shopping mall that charges $20 for each photo (if you provide the fabric they might discount this) but can only print on an 8 by10 piece of fabric. I know you can buy fabric transfer paper and do it yourself but I didn't 't know if the quality of this method is long lasting.

Thanks for all your help,

Sande from New Jersey
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM

you may be able to google and get ratings for different photo transfer sheets. I know some work better than others, some need treating after the photo has been printed on them. Some are not 100% cotton. All things to consider, and I am not sure where you coud get something printed that would be bigger than 8 1/2 by 11".
Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM

And that $20 price tag seems a bit steep to me.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM

$20 per seems steep to me too
Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Hi Sande, I print on fabric alot and use a good quality cotton, usually white. I iron a piece of freezer paper (the size of what your printer will take) onto said white cotton. Run it through the printer and then simply pull off the freezer paper, which can be reused over and over. I then will iron the fabric with the picture simply to heat set it. Works great every time and I have used this method on quilts that get used and washed. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carron View Post
Hi Sande, I print on fabric alot and use a good quality cotton, usually white. I iron a piece of freezer paper (the size of what your printer will take) onto said white cotton. Run it through the printer and then simply pull off the freezer paper, which can be reused over and over. I then will iron the fabric with the picture simply to heat set it. Works great every time and I have used this method on quilts that get used and washed. Hope this helps.
Wow! That sounds awesome. I am going to try this! Thank you, Carron.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Carron View Post
I've used this method too....a lot. It works really well, & the fabric doesn't feel stiff like cardboard the way it does with some of the store bought transfer sheets (which I've also used a lot).
Just don't panic if the sheet gets jammed in your printer. Most printers have a 'back door' you can use to retrieve any misbehaving sheets. (guess how I know) Make sure you iron the freezer paper down really well, & try again.....one sheet at a time. If you keep your finished quilt out of the sunlight, it will maintain a brighter color longer....sunlight fades them fast! &, if you use a small amount of white vinegar in the wash water, that will also help the colors 'set' & stay bright.
good luck!

I just found this: http://www.pabric.com/largeformatpri...FUlxQgodVmEA3w

has anyone seen it or tried it? It looks interesting.

Last edited by mindless; 01-02-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 PM

I have printed on fabric but I have always treated my fabric with bubble jet wash and rinse - I was told that by doing this you would never have to worry about fading.....

Not sure it was true or not but, this is what I have always done.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by pamesue View Post
I have printed on fabric but I have always treated my fabric with bubble jet wash and rinse - I was told that by doing this you would never have to worry about fading.....

Not sure it was true or not but, this is what I have always done.
I researched bubble jet. It sounds like it will work so I will try to find it and give it a try. Thanks Pamela Sue.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Check out www.bryerpatch.com/ Caryl Bryer Fallert has a ton of information out there.