Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem destashing!!! >

Problem destashing!!!

Problem destashing!!!

Old 07-21-2014, 05:01 AM

I don't have a huge amount of fabric.... I store 90% of it in a 3-drawer dresser. But I do have a lot of scraps. I was going to see if anyone wanted it here on QB but now, I'm starting an applique quilt where I will use a ton of little pieces. So, for now, I'm holding on to my stash. Maybe after I get that applique quilt done, I might think about getting rid of some.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I love to declutter. I can toss and forget faster then anyone I know. Doesn't bother me on bit. I do keep more fabric then I need but that is just normal for quilters. I know as I get older I keep less.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Before de-stashing, go through your UFO's to make sure some of the fabrics are not for finishing projects. One lady got rid of all her unwanted fabric at our guild sale......or so she thought. She was back the next month pleading for one of the fabrics to finish the binding on a quilt.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 AM

Look at it this way - take what you aren't really interested in any more, sell it and buy something else! Honestly it is pretty hard, if it is something that I am not crazy about anymore or a What Was I Thinking fabric it is a lot easier - so start with those.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 AM

Tartan, thanks for reminding me of binding...It happened to my last UFO from the 90's. Had to go to 4 quilt shops to look for something that would work.....finally found something at Walmart. My living room is a mess and this morning I feel that I can do this.....but like I said baby steps.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 AM

I understand your dilemma about possibly needing one of your flannel cuts in the future. If there's any question, why not keep it? It's okay to want to keep it. Just purge those fabrics that you know for certain you won't use. That's the baby step you referred to.

The definition of scrap size depends on the person who holds the scraps. I've heard and read references to the definition including something as large as 1/8 yard to a 5" square to a 2" strip. A lot of it depends on what kinds of designs you like to make relative to the sizes of pieces you're willing to work with.

Enjoy your stash and take comfort that you belong to a very large club; most quilters are in the same boat as you.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 AM

If the flannel in your stash is several years old I think you should keep it. Today's flannel is pretty cheesy in comparison.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I love to declutter. I can toss and forget faster then anyone I know. Doesn't bother me on bit. I do keep more fabric then I need but that is just normal for quilters. I know as I get older I keep less.
I had to laugh when I read that comment.

Over the years I have come to realize that it is better to have it in hand than to have thrown it out and have to buy it again, whatever it is. All that does is line someone else's pockets.

I guess I am of the 'it is better not to buy it in the first place if you don't need it' school of thought. So I am not randomly buying fabric to stash up. I can't imagine I'd sell or give it away, unless I am on my way out the door for the final time.

HAHA except for that minky!!! Hate that stuff!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 AM

With the rising cost of fabric, if you have any doubts, I'd keep it.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 AM

I found a wonderful place in Atlanta that teaches homeless people to weave (and gets them back on their feet!). They then sell the woven pieces to continue their work. They need lots of fabrics of all different kinds, so I find it easy to destash when I know that my fabrics are going to a truly good cause. Google ReLoom for more details..... They love "weird" fabrics, BTW. I recently read where they got a bunch of those orange safety vests from Delta Airlines and were able to use those.....