Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem: Expected quilts

I have a problem with people now expecting me to make quilts as gifts for babies, weddings, etc. These people are mostly people I work with. I started this myself and now I don't know how to get out of it. I spend so much time quilting for other people, I don't have time to quilt just for enjoyment or heaven forbid, make something for myself!

Blog Entries
    You should start charging them for your time and materials. Or tell them that you have too many orders...

I have the same problem, so I'm making some quick baby quilts out of panels to satisfy the people that I am not real close to. I also made some fleece baby blankets with crocheted edging which went real fast. I can give those sets to the ones that I don't want to invest quilting time into.

You should merely state that you have several orders waiting, and with the increased costs of fabrics, threads, you are also going to have to increase what you charge to make quilts for others.........You may want to have a "cost" sheet printed up just for occasions like this..........show them what it would cost for a basic quilt in crib, twin, full size.........

That is a problem, isn't it? I would just be honest and say that you are overwhelmed and feeling a little burnt out. People understand.

Why is it that we have such a hard time saying one of the shortest sentences in the English language? "NO." Seems like it should be easy, right? But it's so difficult for so many of us.

Instead of saying "No," I say, "Oh I wish i could, but..." and then I state why. "I don't have the time, or I don't have the money" are my usual reasons. And I don't mean excuses, I mean REASONS. Life is short. Spend your time and energy wisely!

Blog Entries
    I've dug myself into the same hole, but with my family. It's not that they have expressed they "want" a quilt, I have this "ought to" feeling about it. This is the only gift I give, I just wish I was faster at it. I don't seem to be both fast and good, and I won't give something I'm not proud of.

I have so many "to do" quilts that I feel overwhelmed and now I'm avoiding the sewing room. This has got to stop!

If people suggest that you make them quilts, tell them the cost of LQS fabric and a one year minimum to make. My nephew asked if I would make him a "simple king sized quilt". He said he would buy the materials. I told him it would be a minimum of $400, he said he would "shop" elsewhere. I want to make him one, but on my schedule.

So there is someone out there feeling exactly like I am. Isn't it funny how it makes us feel better knowing we aren't alone. My quilt to do list is quite long as well. Thanks for all of the responses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebFowler
    I have a problem with people now expecting me to make quilts as gifts for babies, weddings, etc. These people are mostly people I work with. I started this myself and now I don't know how to get out of it. I spend so much time quilting for other people, I don't have time to quilt just for enjoyment or heaven forbid, make something for myself!
    I read this as people are expected Deb to GIVE THEM gifts of quilts (instead of another gift).

For that I don't have any answers.

Non-quilters rarely know how much time and money is involved in making a quilt. You can always tell them that you already have a lengthy list of projects to make so you are unable to take on anymore.
    I think many of us take on so many requests that we rarely make anything for ourselves or have time to explore new techniques. Just be firm, kind, but firm. ;)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast