Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with finished quilt. >

Problem with finished quilt.

Problem with finished quilt.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Default Problem with finished quilt.

Last Christmas I made a queen quilt for my daughter for Christmas. Washed it after finished and NO problems. She called this week and said one of the seems was undone about two inches. Went over and looked at it and sure enough it was. The more I looked at it it looks like it was never caught in the seam but know that it was because I always double check every seam. Was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. Could the thread have been old and rotten? Thanks for reading and any ideas of how to fix this baby.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Is the edge of the fabric frayed or does it just look like the thread is missing? I had a quilt top with a gap in one seam and I thought, what the heck? Then I remembered I had pulled a thread that was in the seam sticking up on the top of the quilt when I pressed the top. Apparently that thread tail I yanked pulled out the bobbin thread on the seam. If it is just the thread missing, use the invisible ladder stitch and sew it back together by hand.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 AM

What Tartan said makes sense here. Also, if your tension had been messed up on that seam, it might have caused either the top thread or bobbin thread to tear out easier.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Do you remember what thread you used, and if so, can you check what's left? If that's the only spot in the quilt that is having a problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just sew it back together using the ladder stitch, as Tartan said.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

Never had this happen.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 AM

Had a similar thing happen on a quilt I recently finished and had on our bed. I just very carefully put some steam a seam under it and then did a narrow zig zag stitch to join it to the border. One would have to know it was there and where to look for it to find it now.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM

I have learned the hard way- I never pull a thread that is sticking out of a quilt. I always cut it. You never know if the thread is a fray from the fabric or a loose seam thread. Don't ask me how I learned this!!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestion on how to fix this for her. The fabric is not frayed so that is why I believe it is a thread problem. I'm always pulling a thread so it may be that I pulled a small piece out. Will get some steam a seam and get that baby fixed. Hopefully she won't find any other problems with this one. This is the first time I've ever had this problem. Used all of the spool of thread so can't test it.
Again thanks,
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM

Well I will tellyou that I press as I go along and would swear I never missed anything - even pressed the top when done and yep when I was quilting it found an area that wasn't stitched. Don't know if I just missed it (about an inch), thread ran out or what but it does happen. Luckily it is an easy fix
Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 AM

I never cut a thread off a quilt top that hasn't been buried first. Takes more time but that way I know I'm not pulling or cutting something important. I use a big eye needle so it's easy to thread. For ends of stitching when I'm quilting I pull the top thread through, tie it with the bobbin thread and bury them both by threading them on a needle and running them through the batting layer. Makes for a neat stop and start point and everything is secure. Good thing to do while taking a break from the machine or watching TV.