Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem:  Fusible applique >

Problem: Fusible applique

Problem: Fusible applique

Old 05-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Default Problem: Fusible applique

I'm working on a story quilt with fusible applique. I have a few questions about the process.

1. If I never plan to wash the quilt, do I HAVE to sew the fused pieces down?

2. If I don't sew them down, what problems do you think I might have in the future? Does fusible ever stop "sticking"? If it were to travel, would there be problems?

3. I have a few layers of fused pieces (3-4 layers) in some spots, so it's very stiff and thick. I don't mind the stiffness, because i expected that, I just wonder how I should handle the thickness when it comes to [maybe] sewing the pieces down and quilting the quilt.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 04:04 PM

Usually my fusible appliques stick on long enough for me to stitch them down. Just from handling the object a lot the fusible appliques start coming off for me.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:45 PM

Depends on the fusible and if by ironing it on you're making it permanent. The stuff I use can either stick enough to work on it or by ironing it down it doesn't come off. Look at the package and see what it says about permanence of the product.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

yes, if it's fusible that is meant to be sewn down. If it's fusible that is permanent, it will be stiffer. so yes, you most likely should sew them down.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

A lot depends on the brand and type of fusible you are using. Some fusibles are meant to be no-sew, and those usually stick well permanently. Some people have difficulty with fusibles sticking to unwashed fabric, because sometimes the temporary finishes used on fabric interfere with the adhesion process. If the fusible you are using is a sew-on kind, it will last quite awhile without sewing but will likely eventually lose adhesion.

I like Misty Fuse because it does not make the applique stiff. This means you can create a lot of layers with it and still be able to sew them down. Misty Fuse does not come with a paper backing, but you can create one by ironing it between two sheets of parchment paper and then peeling off one sheet while the layers are still warm.

I haven't done layered applique for some time, and it was not with fusible -- rather, with turned under edges using freezer paper, a la one of the Harriet Hargrave methods. When I did that, I sewed each layer to the layer underneath so that when the entire applique was finished, I sewed only the outside outline of the applique to the background fabric; all of the inner pieces were already sewn to each other.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Thanks you guys. I decided to go ahead and sew them down, better safe than sorry. Now I have another problem...What do you do about the holes the needle leaves in the fused fabric? I'm already using a 65/9 needle and there are still holes.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM

Those holes from the needle in the fabric should go away soon. I've never had that problem. It would depend on the type of fabric, but if it is just cotton, those holes should fill in.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

I think that because it is fusible, the holes are not going to close -- especially if not washed.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 PM

I would try ironing to see if the holes disappear that way.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MDQuilter View Post
Thanks you guys. I decided to go ahead and sew them down, better safe than sorry. Now I have another problem...What do you do about the holes the needle leaves in the fused fabric? I'm already using a 65/9 needle and there are still holes.
Kala,

I did a Sunbonnet Sue baby quilt for my niece, with LOTS OF TINY PIECES AND LAYERS. I used my zigzag machine to sew it all down using the buttonhole stitch. It came out very nice. I did wash it and then ironed it -- no needle holes!

Jeanette