Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with fusible batting. >

Problem with fusible batting.

Problem with fusible batting.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM

I have tried fusible batting and it fused only one time. I told a saleslady at JoAnn and she said they never have a problem with it or at least no one had mentioned it before. Well, I bought more and tried it again and it didn't fuse either. So I have given up on it for now. I was told I could return it, but haven't yet. Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't get it to fuse when following the written directions?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 PM

i also had trouble getting fusible batting to fuse until i got the iron hot and really ironed for a long time. i don't think it is meant to be like a permanent bond, just long enough to get it quilted. just didn't seem worth it to me.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 PM

I use it when I make Bow Tuck purses. When I first started using I had a lot of frustration because I was just ironing it on and "thinking" it should be fussed. Then I read the directions. You really have to hold the iron in one spot using a pressing cloth for up to 10-15 seconds. You need to place the fleece down with fussing side up and then put your fabric on that. You are actually pressing onto the fabric. It takes a little time to move the iron from one spot to the next, but it really does fuse nicely. Try it on a test scrap first.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I was going to try this. I think I will pass. I'm going to try a can of Aqua net to fuse my sandwich together, enough to get a few pins on the ends.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 PM

I bought a case of fusible batting from Connecting Threads. The directions say to mark your quilt "after" fusing...well, like you I followed the directions and thought I had sufficiently fused the layers. After a day of handling it, it started coming apart! I couldn't re fuse it because I was afraid the heat would set my marks making the marks permanent. I wasted another day hand basting it back together. Now I will baste the other 5 bags I have and chalk it up to a lesson learned :-o
Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 PM

If you use starch on your fabric before piecing the fusible wont fuse.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by dellareya
I use it when I make Bow Tuck purses. When I first started using I had a lot of frustration because I was just ironing it on and "thinking" it should be fussed. Then I read the directions. You really have to hold the iron in one spot using a pressing cloth for up to 10-15 seconds. You need to place the fleece down with fussing side up and then put your fabric on that. You are actually pressing onto the fabric. It takes a little time to move the iron from one spot to the next, but it really does fuse nicely. Try it on a test scrap first.
Thanks for the tip. If I decide to use it again I'll try it. I used what I had for tote bags and basted it in.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 AM

I used fusable once on a quilt and had a hard time getting it to fuse. Then I though it just felt too stiff. I don't know how well it wore or if the stiffness came out as I gave away the quilt. I was going to use it again on totes instead of buying the expensive fusable fleece but after reading the responses here not sure I will. Think I will just use leftover scraps of batting. I use warm and natural and like how it handles. Is there a reason to use fusable?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

anytime you want to use a fusable you will have best results if you pre-wash your fabrics, you did not mention if you had or not; but sometimes the fusables just will not stick to the chemicals in the fabrics. and when pre-washing do not add fabric softener, you are washing away the additives. also with the fusable battings/fleece you have to press on the fabric...not the fleece/batting...your iron needs to be HOT and place the iron, let set for a few seconds then lift and move to reapply. if should hold enough to get to the machine and do your quilting. they are not a permenent bond-it is re-positionable so you can peel it up and re-set it.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 AM

I had trouble with it a first but did learn that if you iron the fabric side it fuses much better. Mine is hard to get off once it is fused.