Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Problem with Machine?

Question Problem with Machine?

I'm not that great with my sewing machine, but I generally know how to use it. I haven't touched it since last Christmas (for shame, I know) and now it's doing something funky.

When I start sewing, it looks like this:
    Name:  IMAG2346.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  690.4 KB
    And as I continue, it starts to look like this:
    Name:  IMAG2347.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  732.5 KB

I have tried cleaning it, changing the needle, adjusting both tensions, changing the stitch length and type, re-threading the whole thing, and a new bobbin - nothing has helped. I'm working on a project for a friend and I really need to get it done, so I'm pretty desperate. Only the stitches on the wrong side (the side on the bottom) are doing it. The top looks great! Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks so much!

When the problem is on the bottom of the fabric the cause is in the top thread path. You probably don't have it threaded right or maybe you threaded it with the presser foot down.

Blog Entries
    Any chance you missed the hole on the thread take up lever? Ask me how I know. On some machines, it hides a bit as it goes down and is easy to miss. Have you cleaned the tension disks with dental floss if it's an older machine?

Why don't you take a class from your local dealer if you are not comfortable with your machine. The only thing is if you didn't but it from them you will have to pay for it. They should be able to teach you the ins and outs of your machine. how to thread, change settings use your different feet, clean and oil your machine if need be

Definitely run some dental floss between the disks of the top tension. I had a tiny bit of fluff between mine and it created major stitching problems.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    What brand and model of machine? Is it a vintage machine? If vintage, it may need oiling.

If you use dental floss to clean between the top tension discs, just make sure it's *unwaxed* dental floss!

To me, it looks as if the bobbin thread stops getting captured correctly. I would double-check the bobbin (make sure there isn't lint or thread stuck in the spring area) and make sure the bobbin is threaded correctly. Is it a drop-in bobbin?

1st I rethread, after I run a paint brush thru the bobbin area. Check to see if there are any stray threads stuck around the bobbin race. They like to hide! 2nd I wind a new bobbin. After that ,Ii walk away and come back in the morning or in an hour. What kind of fabric/thickness are you working with? Could be you need a BIGGER needle. I had to change to a topstitch needle this week when I was making a tote. The seams got too thick for my go-to piecing needle. When I went back to piecing? I noticed the needle was having a hard time piercing the fabric. I had forgotten to take the top stitch needle out!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain